YES
- 8 (42.1%)
NO
- 8 (42.1%)
Won't know until close to the date
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Linked Events

• National Spin Top Championship at the Whirled Festival of To: August 24, 2019

Author Topic: National Spin Top Championship - 2019 - Miamisburg OH - August 24  (Read 22027 times)

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
Re: National Spin Top Championship - 2019 - Miamisburg OH - August 24
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 05:39:44 PM »

Wow!  57 dollars?!?!

I know! It would cost me more in gas than flying!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »

Wow!  57 dollars?!?!

I know! It would cost me more in gas than flying!
Hey....are you really from Canada? You didn't specify Canadian or US currency.

Sorry you can't make it work this year. Maybe in 2020?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 07:58:43 PM »

It's wonderful Mark that you can make it! You'll love it!

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 08:15:14 PM »

It's wonderful Mark that you can make it! You'll love it!

Wow cheers ta0! I appreciate it. Yes it should be a great time.

Wow!  A representative from Canada!!  I do not think we have ever had someone at this fest from the great north!!!  What an honor.  I guess that makes our event "international."

Thanks a lot Earl, I'm honoured to be able to attend (infiltrate) US Nats. It does make the event international lol. I think if CUPER is confirmed attending from Mexico (si yo entendí su español correctamente - if I understood his Spanish correctly) then that'd also make it international, likely more than someone coming from the other side of the lake :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:31:46 PM by MarkLeithead »

Austen

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »

I’m excited!!!

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »

I'm coming this weekend!!! I'm thrilled!

Hey Rochester NY crew: Don Olney has a bunch of top buttons for me, is there any chance one of you could bring them along this weekend? Not a huge deal, but if you have space, it would be great. Thanks.

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 06:14:05 PM »

I'm coming this weekend!!! I'm thrilled!

Hey Rochester NY crew: Don Olney has a bunch of top buttons for me, is there any chance one of you could bring them along this weekend? Not a huge deal, but if you have space, it would be great. Thanks.
I can bring the shipment to you. Happy to do it. I'll see if Don and I can get together in the next few days. However, you must refer to me as your 'New York Connection' for the entire weekend and act like we're bad guys when we make the exchange in Miamisburg. Deal? ...and I will be referring to the buttons as 'the goods' from now on.

- I just spoke with Don and I will be picking up the goods tomorrow afternoon.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:42:29 PM by butterfingers »

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »

Excellent! Thank you so much!

Top goods from NY... yeah, I got a guy   :D

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2019, 03:56:34 PM »

Excellent! Thank you so much!

Top goods from NY... yeah, I got a guy   :D

Picked them up this afternoon. Now I just need to remember to put them in the car.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2019, 08:14:11 AM »

Can't wait for the goods to arrive in the Burg. 

I had a great exercise session last night including walking a mile with my top.  I was tired and hungry so I told my wife that we were going out to eat at TJ Chumps.  While there, a guy was asking me a lot of questions about our top fest.  I wondered why he was so interested and then he told me the news that we were on the news.  WHIO TV was talking about things to do in the Dayton area and mentioned our event as something to do in Miamisburg!!!

I have been looking around to see if WHIO said anything about us on their website but I have not been able to find anything.  Yet, I did run across something on Dayton.com. They have a list of ten festivals "they just cannot wait for."  And there on August 24th is the Whirled Top Festival!!!  How about that?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:17:40 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2019, 02:39:42 PM »

That's fantastic! It'd be great if we got some "normal people" to join us.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »

That's fantastic! It'd be great if we got some "normal people" to join us.

Wondering if you guys would have more or less fun with a crowd of non-top addicts around you?

My ostensibly adult LEGO club puts on maybe 15 regional public displays per year now. We yuck it up a lot more at our audience-free monthly meetings -- where we can shamelessly wallow in all things LEGO amongst ourselves.

But the overwhelmingly positive feedback we get from show visitors sure feels good. in fact, it's addictive: The public-facing shows we do per year grows as we grow.

Most of us prefer a mix of private vs. public time together. And so we tinker with the ratio, both individually and as a group. As your audience grows -- and I bet it will -- you may find yourself doing the same math to provide a good time for all.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:38:08 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »

Can't wait for the goods to arrive in the Burg. 

I had a great exercise session last night including walking a mile with my top.  I was tired and hungry so I told my wife that we were going out to eat at TJ Chumps.  While there, a guy was asking me a lot of questions about our top fest.  I wondered why he was so interested and then he told me the news that we were on the news.  WHIO TV was talking about things to do in the Dayton area and mentioned our event as something to do in Miamisburg!!!

I have been looking around to see if WHIO said anything about us on their website but I have not been able to find anything.  Yet, I did run across something on Dayton.com. They have a list of ten festivals "they just cannot wait for."  And there on August 24th is the Whirled Top Festival!!!  How about that?

https://www.whio.com/events/festivals/eat-sip-enjoy-more-than-festivals-august/qYIncIpsOvTVqzpcy7Ci8L/
"WHIRLED TOP FESTIVAL: Aug. 25, 5-8 p.m. at Riverfront Park, 3 N. Miami Ave., Miamisburg. Historic activity held in historic downtown Miamisburg where children and adults perform amazing tricks and spin gigantic tops. Cost: Free. For more information, visit exploremiamisburg.com/explore-riverfront-park/."

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2019, 10:34:42 PM »

Good eyes finding this, Renee.  Hope people do not come on the 25th!!!  I guess if they show up a day late I will be happy to throw tops with them.

Had open mic night tonight and talked and sang about our fest.  The owner's son is 13 and may show up on Saturday.

I have the most recent fantastic gift from Larry D.  It is a full set of gasing Indonesian tops all set for a bullseye game.  Maybe Larry would like to tell us about it?

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »

It is a full set of gasing Indonesian tops all set for a bullseye game.  Maybe Larry would like to tell us about it?

The Gasing set is from Lombok Island Indonesia.  They are not the largest size. They should be about 4 ½” in diameter.  But don’t worry, they can still do a lot of damage because of their weight. >:D
***Warning: They are not made for indoor play.

The set consists of one Target Gasing and five Striking Gasing.

Here’s a photo showing Yusuf (the maker) and the gasing.  The Black Ringed gasing at the bottom is the Target gasing the others are the Striking gasing. 

The rules of the game (I pieced together from older postings):

Score 1 point if the TARGET gasing is hit by the Striking gasing in the body (only the wood part). The point does not count if it hits the Metal Ring.  The striking gasing must remain spinning to receive the point.

If both the Target gasing AND Striking gasing continue to spin after the hit then, whichever gasing continues to spin the longest is awarded a point.

But don’t let rules restrict you.
You’re in Miamisburg.
You can make up any rules you want!
I hope everyone attending will enjoy giving them a try.

Here’s a couple of videos to watch on how to Play/wind and throw Lombok Island Gasing, and a video of an actual competition between 2 teams at a festival.

How to wind and throw: 

Competition Play:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up