iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Random Question  (Read 641 times)

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Random Question
« on: August 26, 2020, 07:13:03 PM »

This is a completely random question about something I just thought about, I'd like to see some different opinions as well.

When you lasso a top, does lassoing it harder slow it down, or not? Does a softer lasso have the same effect as a hard lasso?

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Random Question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:33:50 PM »

For right handers...
From a boomerang, let's say that you reach around the top with your throwing hand and let the string slide through your left hand (or let your left hand move in).  This is the same motion as a roller-coaster.  So you would be adding spin. In practice I doubt that you could a much spin.
However that does not answer your hard vs soft question.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Random Question
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 11:36:15 PM »

The catch part of the lasso does add spin, but if a harder lasso gives more spin or not is debatable. If the string does not have time to slide through the non-dominant hand, you will be pushing the top sideways but no really adding spin. On the other hand, if it's too soft it might not press enough against the tip or move too slowly against it. So there is probably and ideal speed, which also depends on how you control the string in 3D. Having a longer stroke does add more spin. By the way, on the hop of the roller coaster you can lower your right hand to extend the pull.