iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Salvador's customized Jumbo  (Read 9465 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Salvador's customized Jumbo
« on: February 14, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »

I received Salvador's second (and last) lot of tops. It includes the large-size Jumbos and the Turbo bearing tops  8)

The Jumbo from the brand Premier is a top the size of a Spintastics' Trompo Grande.  This top size was not successful as they proved too big for the average kid. Actually, the brand Premier itself has been out of existence for close to a decade.

The Jumbo is lighter than a Trompo Grande: Salvador finds that it makes it easier to do some tricks like the orbit types (but Cuper may not agree  ;) ) Here is a comparison with a Ripcord and a Sidewinder:

The best part of this lot of Jumbos is that Salvador had special tips machined for them! These tips greatly improve the play (interestingly, we both independently started changing the tips of our tops to this shape). Here is a comparison between the stock tip and Salvador's tip (I did get one with the stock tip and a sticker of the children museum El Trompo Mágico, for my collection).

The plastic is thinner than the Grande and feels like it would crack easily. But Salvador covers them with plastic tape and uses them without problem in his street performances, the toughest environment possible. The Jumbo on the left is one Salvador has used on the asphalt (see the worn down tip).

By the way, the Jumbo on the right is a one-piece Jumbo made of a softer plastic that Infinite Illusions used to sell around 2000. Salvador's tops are two pieces connected by tabs.

This lot of Jumbo's had several crowns. My guess is that they were given as prizes (something was scratched off on the last two, probably the same wording as under Ganador: "Premio Especial").

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:18:45 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Salvador's customized Jumbo
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:52:12 PM »

Love that beat up red one.  Salvador is hardcore!  I'm curious, did he use cellophane packing tape on that?
I've decided to refer to the ta0 / Salvador points as "lava lamps" ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:25:55 AM »

I'm curious, did he use cellophane packing tape on that?
He talked about this here.
I have high-temp cellophane tape and looks very similar, so you may be right.

I have played a little with the Jumbo and it does play nicely. One thing I already noticed is that I find it easy to snap start. Now, if somebody is planning to get as good as Salvador just by using this top, it won't happen. And that would be the biggest drawback of getting one of these: afterward the top cannot be an excuse not to be able to do his tricks. I know . . .

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »

I'm agree with Ta0, my first snap start was performed with a jumbo.

In my opinion is a bit light for my taste being trompo grande better weighted.

I play onto grass os a carpet, so that I doesn't tape this top largely, but the crown-body área.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »

Now, if somebody is planning to get as good as Salvador just by using this top, it won't happen.
So...they don't come pre-trained to auto-regenerate?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:12:40 PM by ta0 »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »

Those tips look a bit like the ones you made for your HPs.  Nice.
Erratic Wobbler

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:15:38 PM »

This lot of Jumbo's had several crowns. My guess is that they were given as prizes (something was scratched off on the last two, probably the same wording as under Ganador: "Premio Especial").

In fact, when I got (with difficulties so many) these tops, they were apart,...in promotions, the champions (players) ussed to give to some skillful kid, a top like a present. The persons who sold them to me, He kept those gross quantity of tops many years...
I acquired the tops and a lot of them were with these scratchings areas.

The best part of this lot of Jumbos is that Salvador had special tips machined for them! These tips greatly improve the play (interestingly, we both independently started changing the tips of our tops to this shape). Here is a comparison between the stock tip and Salvador's tip (I did get one with the stock tip and a sticker of the children museum El Trompo Mágico, for my collection).

Well, the tip that it`s got the blue one(with the logo of the Museum Trompo Mègico), it was one of the rare tips that bring from the factory, and that are good to play. IN my oipinion, this tip is the most perfect to play when you hve acquired a good style and game.
But, for to do some tricks, like superorbitas/mandalas or the maximum spider, this tip doesn`t work to them.

The long angled tip, is much more better for these kind of tricks, like example, the huitzime Quetzalcoatl, or TUrbo Pascales, or the other tricks in whic you require more time of remiaining of the top in the cord.

I've decided to refer to the ta0 / Salvador points as "lava lamps"

Which is the meaning of "lava lamps""

So...they don't come pre-trained to auto-regenerate?

Ha! Bueno, no quiero engañarlos. Este modelo de trompo me ayuda mucho en los trucos, pero el otro 99% depende del jugador.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:32:07 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »

I was just joking Salvador  ;D

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 11:19:40 PM »

lava lamps is a trick I hope to invent someday...

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:31:32 PM »

Jumbo is already an ancient top.
At least, it`s got like 20 years that comes to the market.
This doesn`t mean that I`ve got them with me for these 20 years, eh!
In my opinion is better to play than any other fixed tops of all that I know.
I don`t want to look like Michael Jordan anouncing some Nike tennis shoes,
( I say this, because I don`t receive anything from the brand that fabricated Jumbos)
but, really, The Jumbo is the Top.
I reccomend to play it with two different kind of tip:
large and small. / longe angled shorter angled

Javier

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »

Hola me hace falta una punta diabolo para mi jumbo algien posee alguna para venderme???

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »

Te puedo mandar alguna.  En algún lado tengo tu dirección pero por si acaso mándamela otra vez.