iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Earl of Whirl, do you still ride a unicycle?  (Read 1347 times)

kevinm

Earl of Whirl, do you still ride a unicycle?
« on: February 25, 2019, 07:28:29 PM »

Who else here is in to unicycles?
Also, where can I seek help if I find myself getting into unicycles?

jmadrigal

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
Re: Earl of Whirl, do you still ride a unicycle?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:21:08 PM »

I do.
I ordered from Unicylcle.com quite a bit when I started (around 2001). I have also ordered some parts and unicycles from Renegade Juggling in Santa Cruz.
As far as riding there is a lot of info on YouTube.
Find a method that makes sense to you and don't give up.

kevinm

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »

Thanks, YouTube made it possible to get started for sure. I was thinking more along the lines of emotional help or mental counseling, but yeah, amazing resource.
I searched the unicyclist.com forum and got tons of help for beginners too. I think I saw some posts there from Mike.  He can also joggle, which still eludes me. I learned how to juggle last year, but every time I try to jog I throw up.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 10:31:56 PM »

Thanks for asking kevinm.  I rode quite a bit over the past few years as I was working on some different challenges.  This winter, though, I have been taking a break as my hips are bothering me.  I miss it and still have things to work on so I will probably get going asash (as soon as spring hits).

My words of support is to (obviously) never give up.  Your body will adapt and do things you never imagined it could.  It just takes time.  I like to document where I am and then look back a couple weeks later and smile at any little progress I make.  I have found lots of short sessions on a regular basis work better for me than a couple long sessions.

Good luck and NGU.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 11:17:11 PM »

I can do the basic unicycling (I can free mount but I cannot idle.) But my main question, and the reason I unicycle little, is: how on earth do you protect your private parts?!!!  :-X  >:D
Tight underwear seems to help. Probably a better seat would also help, but I'm not completely sure.  ::)

kevinm

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 12:09:07 AM »

Thanks for asking kevinm.  I rode quite a bit over the past few years as I was working on some different challenges.  This winter, though, I have been taking a break as my hips are bothering me.  I miss it and still have things to work on so I will probably get going asash (as soon as spring hits).

My words of support is to (obviously) never give up.  Your body will adapt and do things you never imagined it could.  It just takes time.  I like to document where I am and then look back a couple weeks later and smile at any little progress I make.  I have found lots of short sessions on a regular basis work better for me than a couple long sessions.

Good luck and NGU.

Thanks for the tips! Short sessions for sure, my riding is too inefficient to sustain much pedal time. Makes for some awkward UPDs..  I am trying to learn how to turn tighter (and stop falling all the time).
Ta0, you can find lots of info addressing that concern on the unicyclist forum. Most seats are adjustable too. Counterintuitively, most folks put the front as high as it will go, what that does is leave more of the wider, padded part of the saddle to sit on.
I practice on my lunch break at work, I still don’t free mount or anything fancy, still just trying to stay up on one wheel. I recently got a used 20” and it is much less intimidating than the 24 I was learning on, way slower. I want to get the basics down before the next unicycle fad hits so I don’t  get left behind.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 02:06:14 PM by Neff »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 12:25:24 AM »

Sounds like you are doing great.  I miss all the excitement of learning and making good progress on a regular basis.  Interestingly enough, in some ways, I am envious of you!!!

I use my legs more and more and that takes pressure off my crotch.  We have talked about this before and I had hoped you were doing better with that pain, ta0!

kevinm

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 08:20:38 AM »

Well, it is certainly exciting. The older I get, the more exciting falling on my butt gets.
What type of unicycle do you ride, the regular style or a giraffe?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »

Thanks for the laugh kevinm.  I started with a 20 incher when I was 30 and eventually got a giraffe.  It took me years to learn to mount it very well but when I did I started getting into local parades.  I was almost 40 at that time but have been in parades for 25 years and love the "reason to train" they offer.  I do not know what the future has in store for me but I am going to hang on to riding as long as I can.

kevinm

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »

Wow! I did not know you were such an accomplished rider. I am doing this for the balance and excersize benefits, I don’t think I would have the nerve to try a giraffe. It looks like fun though.

Pepe

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 02:50:40 PM »

I work at monociclos.com and I host every year a unicycle convention in the mountains of Madrid, you are more than welcome!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:53:04 PM by Pepe »

kevinm

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 03:07:45 PM »

That is so cool! Sounds like a blast.
Who knew there were so many unicyclists in the spin top world?!

Renee

• ITSA
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »

I used to ride.  This is from my high school yearbook, 1974, riding my unicycle up the hall.  We managed to write it into that years variety show. 

kevinm

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 08:02:28 PM »

Nice! I should have focused on spin tops and unicycles when I was in high school instead of reading motorcycle magazines. I graduated in ‘74 .

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »

Ok, ordered a premium replacement seat (Kris Holm Freeride Saddle) and padded cycling shorts. Looking forward to riding more   :)