iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: The new Sundia monobolo tip  (Read 3864 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: The new Sundia monobolo tip
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »

Thank you, butterfingers.  Very nice explanation!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Pepe

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »

- So this was bothering me and I had to check into it.  I figured this must come apart in order to replace the bearing when it wears out.
- I have a triple bearing and a fixed axle version of this monobolo. I took apart the triple bearing and put it together again with no problems. 3/8" nut driver (I expected metric!) worked fine. righty tighty / lefty loosey orientation. The tip does not need to come apart. Everything else came apart easily and I took pics of all the parts. All you need to do is turn the section with the bearing upside down to make it turn the opposite direction. The only issue is that the washer will not fit on the bottom end of the shaft. If you change the orientation then the bearings will be unprotected by the washer as it would remain in place at the top of the shaft. If you do this you may need to change the bearing more frequently.

Put it all back together in reverse order.
- When spinning the monobolo with the point toward the ground (and holding the silver bearing section) mine will spin freely clockwise. It locks when spin is attempted in a counterclockwise direction.
- I believe if you reassemble with the piece shown in the bottom pic with the bearing toward the tip you will reverse the direction of the one way bearing.
- good luck!

The problem is that the whaser is pressed and very hard to remove...

I´ll try again I promise!!!

Thanks!!!!

Pepe

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »

Half way there!

I can access the first bearing but the second (in the old version the white part has another one direction bearing) is not accessible...

Well I think chaging just the middle one I can play!!

Pepe

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 02:45:42 PM »

Nooooo

With each oneway bearing facing oppsite directions... I cannot star it "ripcord" style like Ta0 in the video  >:( >:( >:(

Latest model has free bearing inside the white part but this version has a one way bearing... too bad :-\ :-\

Im open to any suggestions @butterfingers!!  :'(

butterfingers

• ITSA
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »

- Nope. No magic from me...I think you're stuck. I took mine apart again and I can't remove the bearing from the white tip section. In addition, I found that the silver collar will not install upside down because the center hole in the bearing is a smaller diameter than the shaft. It's a very well designed item. Unfortunately it's not something that can be tinkered with. I can only make it go together the way it came from the manufacturer.

Pepe

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 06:40:38 PM »

- Nope. No magic from me...I think you're stuck. I took mine apart again and I can't remove the bearing from the white tip section. In addition, I found that the silver collar will not install upside down because the center hole in the bearing is a smaller diameter than the shaft. It's a very well designed item. Unfortunately it's not something that can be tinkered with. I can only make it go together the way it came from the manufacturer.

But... Did you manage to take you the axle from the white part?? ???

How?? :o

It might be possible to take out the inner bearing or replace it with a special tool... Mmm ???

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 05:16:33 AM »

Are you sure it has more than one one-way bearing? That's very strange.   :-\
I'm very far from my Sundia, but from what I recall, it was possible to switch the direction of the free spinning from clockwise (left-handed) to counter-clockwise (right-handed) but not viceversa without some special tool.

Pepe

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 06:08:27 AM »

Are you sure it has more than one one-way bearing? That's very strange.   :-\
I'm very far from my Sundia, but from what I recall, it was possible to switch the direction of the free spinning from clockwise (left-handed) to counter-clockwise (right-handed) but not viceversa without some special tool.

100% sure.

One in the middle, like a one way Diabolo and the second one inside the white part.

In the latest monobolo the white part has a free bearing, that of course makes much more sense. The downside is that the tip of not suitable for tricks, that's why I want to "repair" the old one!!