iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Wooden yoyos  (Read 668 times)

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
Wooden yoyos
« on: January 24, 2019, 08:53:32 AM »

Hey y'alls,

Beside tops, I absolutely adore wooden fixed axle yoyos. Not remembering seeing any yoyo talk on this board. Is this a banned subject or not just any interest.
Now I was wondering if there was other wooden fixies lover here. I mainly play yoyo brainlessly during meetings.

I'm currently searching for my next fixie and I was wondering if anyone had any recs? I own a YYF Legend Wings which I love! I was looking at the currier from Hildy bros!

Thanks guys for your inputs =)
paxl
Spinning is life!!!!

jmadrigal

• ITSA
Re: Wooden yoyos
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:18:32 AM »

Check out TMBR stuff. It's impressive to say the least with the wooden screw axel. The Ed Haponik edition is balanced for stall type tricks.
Lately I have loved the Ally Cat. I know it's not wood but it has become my pocket yoyo.

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 09:26:38 AM »

Check out TMBR stuff. It's impressive to say the least with the wooden screw axel. The Ed Haponik edition is balanced for stall type tricks.
Lately I have loved the Ally Cat. I know it's not wood but it has become my pocket yoyo.

I would love to find a TMBR but... they are pretty hard to come by...
I should have picked up the eH 2018 but I was a bit scared of the price!

Will look at the Ally Cat... I have one crappy MagicYoyo responsive and I just find it anoying.. too heavy.. impossible to stall and such...

Thanks for the recs Jose!

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »

I don't do a lot of fixed axle play.  I usually mess around with it when I get bored of 2a, and therefore use my loopers to play around with stalls and kickflips and stuff.  I've wanted a yoyofactory Confusion (mostly for the nostalgic factor as I always wanted a Cold Fusion GT when I was a kid) and may use that for "fixed axle" if I ever get one.

jmadrigal

• ITSA
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 08:04:26 PM »

Picked up a confusion for Christmas.  It is a great responsive yoyo. Supper fun but not as balanced when doing intricate string stalls.

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 05:07:49 AM »

I don't do a lot of fixed axle play.  I usually mess around with it when I get bored of 2a, and therefore use my loopers to play around with stalls and kickflips and stuff.  I've wanted a yoyofactory Confusion (mostly for the nostalgic factor as I always wanted a Cold Fusion GT when I was a kid) and may use that for "fixed axle" if I ever get one.

Any recs for 2a? I was looking at picking up a Loop 720 japan. I've only ever looped on my fixies, On good days I can do 5-10 inner loop before everything goes to madness :).

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 12:05:43 AM »

The loop 720s are pretty darn good.  Kitty normal is the string normally used with them.  I cut mine to 31-32 inches (77-80 cm ish).  Another good option would be the c3 initiators.

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 10:08:48 AM »

Thank you guys,

I'll end up ordering probably :
- recess first base ( to try my hand at 1a responsive and unresponsive)
- 1 loop 720 japan
- kitty normal
- type 10 cotton & normal cotton

After that, I will buy a wooden throw. Not sure yet. I love and love the Currier and they have a nice hollowed out version on hildy bros own website, but shipping is very expensive... So might end up picking a standard edition of YYE for now.

Anyway thanks for your advices!
Cheers y'alls!
Paxl

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »

I ended buying a YYF confusion you damn enablers :) Wow.. this is fun!!! I've been hammering stalls since it got into my home.

So I ended up with a Confusion, a Loop 720 & a Replay Pro. The confusion is amazingly fun. I have so much fun looping with the 720... it's insane... I get to 6-10 inner loop before everything goes to hell :) The replay. well, I don't know how to bind so.. I'll have to learn that :) String wise, I ordered cotton 10 which was suposed to be more responsive with my wood yyf legend and man this is ... not binding at all... like very slippery and not binding ... I'll play a bit more with it... I didn't try the kitty yet, I used the string that came with the yoyos in them works well enough...

How long should be my string for the 720 ? I use the lenght that came with the yoyo and it's already too fast for me for now :P

I ordered one of the string top that YYF made for tops without thinking it would be useful. It's BARELY enough long for a Giulia. Too short for my QSH. It plays well... Snapstart with it works well both on the QSH and the Giulia. I can throw properly on the Giulia. I have to throw very causiouly with the QSH b/c it's way too short... I'll probaby keep it for my Giulia... I need to up my string game. I'll probaby go to the hardware store tomorrow to try to figure out somethign...

Ahh and my shoulder / arm / finger that were already unhappy b/c I'm playing too much fixed tip + regens is now even less happpy b/c of the 720s :) I'll have to pace myself!! But I shoudl have gotten a looper before... it's a LOT of fun!!!

Cheers, might do a vid on what I can do right now just for the fun of having it in store when I get better :)

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 06:17:24 PM »

Ha ha, I literally just bought myself a confusion too...
I usually use 31-32 inch string for my loop 720s, but that's what works for me.  I wouldn't go longer than 36 inches though.

kevinm

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 07:33:21 PM »

Tom Kuhn no-jive, still an amazing yo-yo, rock solid and you can tune it to play like you want.

jmadrigal

• ITSA
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »

No-Jive is great for sure but they are hard to find. They have also gotten expensive :(

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 05:11:55 AM »

Tom Kuhn no-jive, still an amazing yo-yo, rock solid and you can tune it to play like you want.

No-Jive is great for sure but they are hard to find. They have also gotten expensive :(

Yep, I have no idea where to  pick one up. Ebay seemed the best option but again, the confusion actually is good enough for now... when I get more back into yoyo'ing I will buy one probably ( Or a Currier from hildybros! )

kevinm

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 08:16:21 AM »

The BST on the yoyoexpert.com,
https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/t/dif-e-yo-tom-kuhn-bc-proyo-hsipn-yoyojam-duncan-new-items/84160

I prefer the non painted ones, but this will get you in the game.