iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Good items on shirts that get some attention and notice  (Read 303 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Good items on shirts that get some attention and notice
« on: January 21, 2019, 04:56:18 PM »

I have often wondered about this and a t-shirt I had on the other day brought this to mind again.  It was a Christmas present from my wife and it really deals with that indoor stationary bike craze...."I'm nicer after spin."

Of course, we think of spin in a different way and a number of strangers stopped me and wanted to comment about it.  I did not have a top with me but I certainly will have one ready to demonstrate on my next walk.

How about anyone else?  Do you have a shirt with a phrase or logo on it that stirs conversation.....spin top related or NSTR?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

butterfingers

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
Re: Good items on shirts that get some attention and notice
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »

I have an entire collection of T Shirts from places I've never been and things I haven't done. They are all thrift store finds and some have led to  interesting conversations. I started buying them (and still do) if I like the designs. It's really surprising how many people actually read the shirts I wear and I'm frequently stopped and asked about what I'm wearing. Sometimes it's awkward....but that's kind of my thing. It's a running joke in my house that I never go anywhere but I have T shirts from everywhere. You've reminded me that it's time to refresh my collection! The best conversation bait is a shirt from a neighboring city - Buffalo shirts worn in Rochester are an especially good way to attract a conversation. I don't do political shirts - only landmarks or local events - and they have to be for events of places I look like I might actually have visited/attended. Restaurants, BBQ, bars are an easy sell for me. Fun runs, marathons, etc - not so much. 

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 10:25:34 PM »

Unlike butterfingers, most (if not all) of my shirts are from places I HAVE been, or things I HAVE done.  I still get reactions and comments from some of them, mostly juggling festival t-shirts.

The one item that gets the most attention is a baseball cap I bought on a visit to Texas.  It simply says "Texas" in big letters on the front.  People often ask me about it, and assume I'm FROM Texas because of it.

I also have a shirt that says "Maui" on the front.  People frequently ask if I've actually been there (I have)....

Shootist

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:56:43 AM »

There is a place called August BBQ in Sylacauga Alabama.  They have Great Food and Ribs.  Their employees wear a T-Shirt with the following saying

Men's Shirt: "Real Men Rub Their Meat".  Women's Shirt: "Real Women Love to Eat Meat".   Remember this is a BBQ Restaurant.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 02:22:38 AM »

How about anyone else?  Do you have a shirt with a phrase or logo on it that stirs conversation.....spin top related or NSTR?

Once saw a bumper sticker with "I still miss my ex, but my aim's getting better." Someday I'll find the T-shirt.  >:D

Your "Happiness runs in a circular motion!" sig is hard to beat. What about a T-shirt with it circling the chest? To show the full slogan and demonstrate the concept, you'd just spin gleefully with your arms raised!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:58:17 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 12:58:10 PM »

Yes, I do like that happiness runs phrase and it has lots of possibilities.  I look forward to experimenting with it and other things that come my way.

My experience is that a little mystery helps the conversation.  I can often watch people's eyes and see if they are interested in my shirt or not.  I have a "Blueberry Cheesecake" shirt.  It was the name of my college intramural basketball team.  I made two of them for a teammate's retirement party.  Interestingly enough, I get more comments and smiles from that shirt than from about anything else I have ever worn.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 04:18:51 PM »

A Texas hat in New York got me to thinking.  My Ohio shirts (Ohio University where my step daughter swam) hardly get a second glance here in the buckeye state.  But, over in Paris it was quite a conversation piece.  Maybe I need a colorful Uruguay shirt for Miamisburg?