iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Vote for best spinning top photo of the year!

Author Topic: I'm tired of NBA All-Star stuff-tell me some good all star top spinning stories!  (Read 2868 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

I was thinking of the great all-star move of Dick Stohr at worlds the other year (was that 2008?) when we had one plastic cup sitting on an upside down plastic cup.  He had a toss that knocked the cup on the top off and landed with a perfect spinner on the upside down cup.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Well, I did a top hoop on the first collective video. And that is my excuse to bring another reminder for the third . . .  ::)
Are you going to finally record something for me, Mike? There must be somebody you know who has a camera . . .   ???
And I think you can come up with some goofy interpretation, don't you?  ;)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

I remember the time someone had a big metal top and was hopping over it (like a jump rope) and the top came apart.  It all happened in a big room and there were lots of people around.  Suddenly, I felt like I was watching a big bullet shot from a gun!  Luckily, no human was injured as a poor, unsuspecting wall took the bullet for the rest of us.

Sure wish we had that encounter on film.  When do you want these other items on film,
Jorge?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

I remember the time someone had a big metal top and was hopping over it (like a jump rope) and the top came apart.  It all happened in a big room and there were lots of people around.
Who would do something so irresponsible?  :-[

I will be out of the country the last two weeks or March. I will start working on this when I come back, so the deadline is the first week of April.

Are you really sure a Lutheran Pastor can come up with something goofy?    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

I was in the Top Spinning Hall of Fame this weekend (whew, was it cold in there) and ran across Matt Ritter's famous hat.  What a joy it was to think back on his practice sessions before worlds in 2007 and remember his first attempts at a hat grind.  Little by little, it seemed to smooth out and at the freestyle finals he finished his routine with a perfect top throw into his hats, a pause for a grind and then a perfect toss back out to the string for a fantastic finish.

And to think, we have the hat in the Hall of Fame!  I held the cap and closed my eyes, dreaming of the amazing ending to that 2007 routine.

Jorge, hope you are able to receive the work we did with John Buechele's camera.  It may not be crazy enough for your standards but we tried!

John Buechele

• Gold Member

How about that time last year at world's when that incredible top spinner did his entire bearing freestyle routine on stilts.

Did he get first place? ;)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

I remember at worlds a couple years ago when we were doing throws to ourselves and trying to see who could go the farthest.  There were some great performances but I think what I seem to remember the most is Matt Ritter hitting the air vent in the ceiling...twice!  It's not very nice to remember someone's errors but he is so amazing in so many ways that the metal sound of his top hitting that vent was pretty humorous.

And yes, I remember that second place stilt guy.