iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Your very own Saturn V moon rocket!  (Read 257 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
Your very own Saturn V moon rocket!
« on: January 12, 2019, 03:24:24 PM »

Ever dreamed of going to the moon? Well, dream no longer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxtUrloLlm8

Stages and payloads finally come together at 16:26.

This large, sturdy LEGO Saturn V retail set comes with its own command and lunar modules, Apollo astronaut minifigs, and many convincing details inside and out. You can take this amazingly realistic ride all the way to the lunar surface and back, easily separating and docking stages and payloads in the actual flight sequence laid out right on the box. The beautifully done instruction/education booklet provides more background with NASA photos and engineering drawings.

IMO, this is one of the best LEGO sets ever and a must for any serious space buff. If you've ever seen one of the Saturn Vs still on display, you'll be awe-struck all over again. As an added bonus, the 1,969 pieces include lots of parts suitable for top making. Now in stores and at shop.lego.com for $120 -- a great value as LEGO sets go.

Best of all, you can go to the moon as often as you want, as this baby is totally reusable. (Match that, SpaceX!) That means no Solomaic decisions about what to bring. First, I'll take my dog and lots of tops to test in space and on the moon. Next flight, I'll drop off the inlaws.  >:D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:58:13 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Your very own Saturn V moon rocket!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:33:14 AM »

That Lego build of a Saturn V rocket is crazy! And it's a nice touch that the number of pieces is listed as exactly 1969! 8)
Incredible that this year it will be the 50th anniversary of the landing in the moon, but we have not gone back since 1972.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:19:39 PM »

That Lego build of a Saturn V rocket is crazy! And it's a nice touch that the number of pieces is listed as exactly 1969! 8)
Incredible that this year it will be the 50th anniversary of the landing in the moon, but we have not gone back since 1972.

Good pickup on the 1969!

Fifty years later, still have a clear memory of watching the (more or less) live Apollo 11 video in 1969 and hearing Neil Armstrong say, "That's one small step for (a) man; one giant leap for mankind." What a moment!

NASA "Apollo 11 lunar surface log" with key audio and video clips and full transcript of Armstrong's historic lunar EVA July 20, 1969: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.step.html. Still gives me goosebumps!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »

Interestingly enough, Armstrong's hometown is just an hour north of me (Miamisburg, Ohio).  Good old Wapakoneta.  Like Mburg, not too many Wapaks around.  I checked them out on the internet and it looks like they are going to do things up pretty big on July 20th, the 50th anniversary!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:31 PM »

Interestingly enough, Armstrong's hometown is just an hour north of me (Miamisburg, Ohio).  Good old Wapakoneta.  Like Mburg, not too many Wapaks around.  I checked them out on the internet and it looks like they are going to do things up pretty big on July 20th, the 50th anniversary!!!

Could be a lot of fun! Are you thinking about going?