iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Auction of Daniel Lassanske's collection  (Read 822 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Auction of Daniel Lassanske's collection
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »

Hello spinning top enthusiasts! My name is Paula Bennett. Many of you here know of my father, Dan Lassanske and a few of you have met him and experienced his passion for spinning tops first hand or have seen his spinning top collection...

In April of 2018, my father was diagnosed with brain lymphoma. Sadly, he passed away in late October. Among other things, he left his collection of spinning tops (and related memorabilia) to my sister and I. Though we both enjoy spinning tops and will always have fond memories of visiting "The Top Room," neither of us share the same level of enthusiasm that my father had for spinning tops, nor do either of us have the space to devote to such a large collection, so after much deliberation, we have decided to sell the collection (with the exception of a couple of pieces that hold special places in our hearts). My father would have wanted the items in his collection to end up in the hands of people who shared his love of spinning tops, so I felt that this forum full of spinning top collectors/enthusiasts would be the best venue for disseminating my father's vast collection of tops and related memorabilia to the folks who share his passion.c

His collection is HUGE (as those of you who have seen it can attest to) and it is not catalogued in any way. Due to this, I have decided to make a video of the entire collection (a link to the video is posted below) and host a best and final auction. To participate in the auction, I am requesting that you either send a personal message with a screen shot of the item(s) that you are interested in along with a detailed description of the item or send a personal message listing the exact time that the item is visible in the video along with a description of the item. In addition, the best price you are willing to pay for that item. At the conclusion of the “auction” on Sunday, March 31st you will be contacted if your offer is the highest and arrangements will be made for payment and shipping. You will be responsible for the exact shipping charges via USPS Priority mail and I will send you an invoice via PayPal by April 19th.

Compared to that of my father (and undoubtedly many here), my knowledge regarding tops is admittedly limited, so if there are any here that might be able to educate me on some of the pieces in the collection, that would be greatly appreciated as well. I also don’t live in the area of his collection so if you have additional questions or need further pictures of specific tops there may be a delay in getting back to you. I will make a point of returning to his collection several times over the next few months to take detailed pictures as they pertain to your questions.

If there are any collectors who don't regularly visit this forum that any of you know of and can contact, I would appreciate it if those of you who know them could reach out to them as well.

Dismantling this collection that my father was so proud of brings me no joy and is a very sad task but it does make me happy to know that the items will end up in the hands of people who share my father's love of spinning tops and will cherish them as he did.

Take care,

Paula Bennett

pbennett (AT) gmx.com

916-601-1419

Video Link:

https://youtu.be/erzMbM0xfnI
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:41:08 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Auction of Daniel Lassanske's collection
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »

The video is over one hour long. I suggest you put some background music and set the youtube video to 1.5x speed. Keep a paper and pencil handy to write down the time stamps of what interests you. It's worth watching and a unique opportunity for collectors.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:44:33 PM by ta0 »

Renee

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »

Where is the collection located/or where will it be shipped from?

butterfingers

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 01:58:21 PM »

Hey, Renee. I wondered the same thing. I think it's in California.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:29:05 PM »

The collection is in the hills close to Atascadero, California.

Shootist

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »

I watched the whole video, Thats a Large collection of Tops.  A must see video.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:47:42 PM by Shootist »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 12:49:58 AM »

Compare the antique tops here with the contemporary tops featured in Tim's Grand Illusions videos. Apparently, very little new under the sun in the top biz.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:23:02 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:36:37 PM »

Compare the antique tops here with the contemporary tops featured in Tim's Grand Illusions videos. Apparently, very little new under the sun in the top biz.

I see your point, but you can quote me on this:

Claiming that "everything that can be invented has been invented" is asking for the mockery of the future.

;D

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:31:15 PM »

I see your point, but you can quote me on this:
Claiming that "everything that can be invented has been invented" is asking for the mockery of the future.

Totally agree, but true innovation seems to be in short supply on the top front -- at least from a US perspective. Many reasons for this, including the antiqity and fundamental simplicity of the toy, design constraints related to human factors and play value, and currently low popularity in a major toy market (the US).

One of the more innovative recent offerings is the iTop.And riffing on old themes is still a rich vein to mine in top design.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:35:42 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »

I moved this topic here so it's not buried by other topics.
I started making my list of wishes . . .

The Beard

• ITSA
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 06:22:05 AM »

Any updates?  Has anyone purchased anything from this awesome collection?

butterfingers

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 10:49:27 AM »

I sent an inquiry to Mr. Lassanske's daughter and received a very nice reply with additional pics. I did make an offer to buy something from the collection today.

- the collection is wonderful but it doesn't contain much that would actually be played with. It's more of a collection of displayed items. As such, there were many items that interested me but very little I would want to own.

butterfingers

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 07:43:16 PM »

I received a Roto Mold top in the mail today from the collection. Mr. Lassanske's daughter shipped it speedy quick. It was well packaged and I'm pretty happy with it. I was forewarned that it would not be a good player. Nonetheless, I thought it would be a fun thing to have. It's in fantastic shape but that won't last long because I plan to play with it and it's bound to get beaten up.

The Trompo Grande and 4" Watts' top are shown for scale.

I would suspect that anyone purchasing from the collection would have a similar experience. If there are items you want, make a fair offer and take advantage of this opportunity. It's unlikely something like this will come up again.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 12:34:51 AM »

I received a Roto Mold top in the mail today from the collection. Mr. Lassanske's daughter shipped it speedy quick.
Ha! That roto molded top was my present to Lassanske when I visited him!  :) I'm happy it remains in good hands.

My understanding is that most of the collection will be sold in a silent auction that finalizes at the end of March.

butterfingers

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »

I received a Roto Mold top in the mail today from the collection. Mr. Lassanske's daughter shipped it speedy quick.
Ha! That roto molded top was my present to Lassanske when I visited him!
:) - a top with special provenance! It may wind up on Antiques Roadshow some day.