iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!  (Read 62317 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Re: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2019, 06:44:35 AM »

Bought a new 3" John Marcus top at Miamisburg.  I think it looks like a Pendleton wool camp blanket when it spins.  Should I call it Pendleton, or Pendlespin?

Wow this looks stunning!!!
Spinning is life!!!!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2019, 07:05:54 AM »

That is a nice top. It looks better in person, though. I really like the Markus tops for many reasons...but you don't know what they will look like when they spin. Of course you can guess the colors while the top is at rest but it's always a surprise when they spin.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »

Thought I'd twist some new string for the new top.  I didn't have any true green thread, so I ordered this "golo"brand in what they call size 10.
BEWARE:  Golo size 10 is visibly thinner than Aunt Lydia size 10.  (But, they have some nice colors.)
This led to all kinds of trouble during twisting, mixing two different thicknesses of thread.  I finally got a good twist by making sure I had the same number of strands on each hook of each size.  And that string turned out to be about the same diameter as the string that Johnm gave me with the top.  I used two strands of Aunt Lydia, and four strands of golo on each of four hooks.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:14:08 PM by Renee »

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2019, 10:55:03 PM »

That top is beauty ??

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2019, 12:30:57 AM »

That top is beauty ??
Spinning

At rest

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2019, 12:50:33 AM »

These are beautiful tops. I would like to see videos with the basic tricks. What shows the ability of a top are wire walkers - cork screw - stair way to heaven etc. not a bunch of regenerations. To me there is nothing great about a snap start - I like the long throw with a tip catch. And I don’t see the Colombians doing the stair way to Heaven? I think the tip neck is to large? And my operation is September 10 PRAY for ME. I would like a snap start after the operation for the hip.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2019, 05:45:34 PM »

Went to World Fest in Louisville, KY today.  [ https://louisvilleky.gov/government/city-events/worldfest ] As usual, I was carrying a top.  But, I forgot to bring give-away tops with me.  Anyway, I was disappointed not to see any spinning tops.  But, finally at the Japanese booth, there were koma!  I got my TG out and mentioned that I spin tops.  The person running the booth, was not a spinner.  But, her helper was keen to try.  So, he took a couple of throws but was unsuccessful.  It didn't help that it was tight quarters with mobs of people all around, and the drop off to the Ohio River just 5 feet away.  While I was giving the young man some tips, a fellow from the adjoining booth approached and said he had played with them as a child in Spain.  Thanks to this forum, I knew he would have called it a peonza.  He was excited to see the top, and asked to give it a try.  He said the method of throwing was different, more overhand.  I said, of course you were probably throwing wooden tops and trying to smash the others.  He smiled and tried an overhand throw, without success.  He didn't seem to care, and thanked me.  I think he will probably be recalling fond memories.
I purchased one of the little koma's for $3.  It's wood, with a straight spindle, and 2" diameter.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2019, 10:07:15 PM »

Hmmm!  A world fest in Louisville?  Very good.  It is so sad that they missed out on tops from around the world.  Glad you were able to have the interactions you did.  Those little surprises are fun!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »

This is my Latest Spin Top Acquisition. Lombok Island Spin Tops Gasing, they are about 6 inches in diameter.  Nothing but fun to throw and watch them spinning.

Thanks LarryD and Iwan for all your help.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:44:19 PM by Shootist »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2019, 01:56:58 PM »

Congrats, Shootist! Lombock gasings are for manly battle!   >:D

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »

Congrats, Shootist! Lombock gasings are for manly battle!   >:D

Well Jorge, it’s time to get even!   >:D

You once wrote, in this posting from 2012: http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,1704.msg17227.html#msg17227
“Larry, forgive me, but I need to be an equal opportunity pain in the neck (I recently did it to another poster), so write 100 times: Colombia, Colombia, Colombia . . .         ”

Now, 7 years later - it's your turn my friend.  :)

Jorge, forgive me, but I need to be an equal opportunity pain in the neck.
So write 100 times: Lombok, Lombok, Lombok . . .  ;D  :P :P :P :P
Not Lombock

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »

Ha, Larry!  :-[  ;D I won't forget now that it's spelled Lombok!
But this is a little unfair: a forum search found only this one instance of the use of Lombock by myself or anybody else.  On the other hand Columbia instead of Colombia has been a recurrent thing, and they are two very different places! There is not another place on earth that is spelled Lombock.
Colombia is a well known country of 50 million people, while Lombok is an obscure island of Indonesia.
In addition, Lombok and Lombock would be pronounced the same way, while Columbia and Colombia I don't think they are.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 09:51:15 AM by ta0 »

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2019, 05:13:10 PM »

We went to a couple antique malls today, and I picked up these three tops for $5.  The dark one is quite dense, it's 3.5 in tall, 2.25 in. wide, and weighs 90 gm.  I haven't tried to throw it yet.  Need to smooth the tip a bit first.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:19:06 PM by Renee »

unini

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »

finally got a nice 4" Watts Top, next to my one week old daughter :)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »

finally got a nice 4" Watts Top, next to my one week old daughter :)

Niceeeeee!!! Congratz on the new arrivals!!!