iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!  (Read 62286 times)

Hydrona

Re: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2021, 02:08:55 PM »

Thanks Ta0  :)
We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -

Hydrona

« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2021, 03:08:01 PM »

A question : how do I clean the bearing inside the top?
It spins, but very shorty. Most say mineral spirits. I have white spirit somewhere..
 But I'm scared that it will damage the brass and/or plastic inside.
I'm searching on Google, but all mixed thoughts...
Can anyone help me out?
Thank you in advantage  ;)

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2021, 03:19:08 PM »

Mineral spirits is ideal, because it will not damage the plastic or the brass or anything. What I do is pour some into a jar, and then place the tip inside for a while. The bearing should spin nicely afterwards. You can also try using some drops of thin yoyo lube in the hole of the tip, but that doesn't work as well.

Hydrona

« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2021, 03:21:41 PM »

Thanks Texture!
I will try it  :).

Hydrona

« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2021, 03:49:10 PM »

Thank you for the tip, Texture!
I just did it.  The tip spins VERY GOOD!
tomorrow I'll spin the top. It's almost 10 pm here in Belgium. Time to sleep..

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2021, 01:00:43 AM »

I got this top from Tip Top Crafts on Etsy:

It's made from the seed pod from the Australian Banksia tree. Even with all the deep seed cavities, it spins quite well. The maker says that the wood is very hard. The handle is made out of pear and the axle is fiberglass. It's 5 inches tall. It's a curious top, although not my first one from a seed pod.
It came with a free surprise gift: a Benham color illusion top, made from a CD with a wooden axle.

The maker is Dick Bischoff, a retired academic living in University City, MO (suburb of St. Louis). I mentioned to him this forum, hopefully he joins. He makes nice tops at very reasonable prices: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TipTopCrafts

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2021, 10:33:58 AM »

That is one unique top!  8)

This type of supported top I somehow don't see very often in the US.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2021, 11:25:18 AM »

Nice catch! Interesting shape, and a well-designed string-pull that looks to be easy on the hands. A good string- or ribbon-pull starter is a thing of beauty -- simple yet very powerful.

I can see how this mass distribution would benefit from a high-speed starter: High CM + low central TMI/AMI ratio = high critical speed.  Play depends on a large positive net speed = release - critical speed. Can you get enough net speed by hand?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2021, 12:56:48 PM »

With the palm of the hands I can get it to spin about 12 seconds with the axle vertical and 20 seconds until if falls down. I cannot spin it with my fingers. With the starter it's a 1 minute top.

An extra string starter was another nice touch by Dick.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 09:46:54 AM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2021, 01:17:22 PM »

All too often, topmakers limit their non-throwing top designs to those the average user can start by hand. Unfortunately, this excludes a huge chunk of the top design space -- and with it, many great tops with tons of play value. Just add a starter that's fun in its own right!

Glad Dick was willing to go outside this box on this one. Bet it looks nice asleep. And endurance tops aside, you can gets lots of play value out of a minute of spin time.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 01:22:51 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Christop

« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2021, 01:13:59 AM »

I have not been posting so much the last few years but all the tops I got in my first few years are destroyed at this point so here are my acquisitions over the past year or so.

First up I bought these during the Spintastics sale last year and the black one is the Blizzard prototype that has probably one of the best designs I've used on a bearing top:

Earlier this year I celebrated getting a new job by buying a couple of nice koma from Spingear and I can now do a wire walker with them:

After that I purchased my favorite top yet, a Sweetle. Unfortunately I stripped out the nut almost immediately so this is purely a bearing top at the moment:

About a week ago I got this Neptuno and it's my absolute favorite fixed tip top outside of my QSH which is in rough shape these days, lol. The shape and weight is just great:

Finally I got a pack of 4 Cometa Cobritas today to give to my nephews and have already made custom string and balanced them. They are suprisingly great tops I must say:

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2021, 09:49:58 AM »

That's a nice variety of tops to play, Chris. Congrats!
You have no excuse not to practice ;D

Yes, the Sweetle is a wonderful top.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 06:07:41 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #237 on: November 15, 2021, 05:55:35 PM »

Oh no, a stripped Neffnut! I shall replace it, but I may need to tweak the bearing well, I sent ya an email.
If anybody else has that problem, please let me know!

Christop

« Reply #238 on: November 15, 2021, 09:19:05 PM »

Oh no, a stripped Neffnut! I shall replace it, but I may need to tweak the bearing well, I sent ya an email.
If anybody else has that problem, please let me know!

Oh I really appreciate that! I was going to contact you about ordering some replacements and ask about how to set the Sweetle up for fixed tip play without the nut, but I do like the option to switch between them. I didn't receive an email but I attempted to send you one as well in case it's an issue with the forum email feature.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2022, 04:59:18 AM »

I am in the train on the way back home from a wonderfull time at the Marines festival. Except the tops I bought as presents for the kids my wife and my friend that does the work on the lathe for me, I got those in the picture above.
Ludo gave me the red and green plastic top ( Duncan bearing King?) as a present.  I practiced already a lot with that one. Very proud to say that I manage a boomerang with  it, maybe once in five tries.
The wooden one Rocco made for me on the spot. It was a pleasure seeing him make it! In the hands of those who can, it can do all the tricks! Me being an absolute beginner who never touched a throw top until five days ago, I feel happy when I get a good spin that I can pick up from the floor with the string and land it in my hand. But I think it is a beauty.
And a big big thank you to all the best teachers I had at Marines: Jim, Rocco, Mermouy, Emmanuel, Ludo, Attila, ...

Edit: oh, I forgot to mention the little self made top that Jim  gave to me. But that one is deep in the suitcase. I can not get it out for a picture just now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 12:09:10 PM by ortwin »

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary