iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: cotton clothesline?  (Read 1833 times)

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
cotton clothesline?
« on: February 11, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »

I have not found replacement cotton clothesline in my area.  NFO & Colorwood are OK for now but NFO will need a replacement because where I start wrapping at the tip, the rope has started to fray.  I went to my friendly Ace Hardware & Home Depot and the only clothesline was "All-Purpose Clothesline, Mixed Fibers: Polyester & Polypropylene, Synthetic, Knots Easily, Grips Wood Clothespins".  Wrapping is harder because of the stretch.  I really have to pull hard and still it does not stay flat and smooth.  The throw with that wind is very dangerous.  I am not sure where it will go.  I have some extra (Bev is not using) cotton clothesline but it is 40 or 50 years old and I an not sure that is safe either.  Any thoughts?  Sources?
Practice hard and play safe.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
Re: cotton clothesline?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »

Finding cotton clothes line is becoming harder all the time.  May I suggest for the next rope--do not use a button.  Rather a knot at each end.  You will wind the top with either end of the rope and it will last twice as long.  I place the knot on the inside of my hand, then wrap the rope around the outside of my middle finger, coming out beside the knot on the inside of my hand.  The rope then is between my first and second finger.   This is my preference and have done it this way for many years. :)
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: cotton clothesline?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »

I use a loop over the middle finger, works good.  The fray is not at the ends.  It is at the first wrap around the tip.  The rope coming from the crown is fraying under that first wrap at the tip.