iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Ordered 3d Printer  (Read 909 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Ordered 3d Printer
« on: December 02, 2018, 11:22:20 AM »

I just ordered my first 3d Printer (in time to claim it as a business purchase in my taxes  ::) ).
It's an Original Prusa i3 MK3. At $800 in kit form (including shipping from the Czech Republic) it's more than what I initially wanted to spend (you can buy cheaper Chinese printers), but it has very good reviews and can handle many materials.
No, I have no intention of competing with Relampago. In fact, I'm not planning on making traditional throw tops in the near future. But I'm working on an idea for a spinning toy  :-X . I'll also probably print parts to fix some tops in my collection. The future is coming fast!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:25:34 AM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Ordered 3d Printer
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »

salut Jorge

excellent news : a spinning-toy ! i can't wait to hear more about it >:D

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »

Exciting news! Looking forward to seeing that spintoy, as I'm sure it will be a ton of fun. Also excited that you'll be making top parts -- a subject near and dear to my heart.

I'm lucky enough to have a LEGO friend/engineer with a 3D printer and lots of experience. She prints mainly LEGO-compatible parts that mechanically minded builders like me have long clamored for -- including a versatile ring gear for planetary transmissions and various adapters for the powerful motors, servos, and radio receivers used in fancy non-LEGO RC toys.

Someday, I'll ask her to print some of the LEGO-compatible top parts I've long clamored for -- including a sturdy one-piece fine tip and mount and a very rigid 12-spoke hub for tops with 3-, 4-, and 6-fold rotational symmetries. Hub and tip flexures are important sources of wobble in LEGO tops, and this kind of wobble can be very hard to eliminate.
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

jmadrigal

• ITSA
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 07:36:39 PM »

Solid printer. Let the fun begin.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:25:02 PM »

Well, I finally got the printer kit 2 weeks ago (after crossing the Atlantic 3 times due to a misunderstanding  ::) ) and assembled it last weekend.

I printed a few trial pieces this week in PLA and the results were impressive. Some interlocked gears printed at 150 micron layers spin smoothly and a little frog I printed at the maximum layer resolution of 50 microns (but standard nozzle) has a finish almost looks machined not 3D printed.  :o

Today I decided to try PETG, which is the same material that Prusa uses to 3D print some of the components of the printer itself. I was looking for a model worthy of being printed as a test but in the end could not resist printing Jose's top in thingiverse  :D Because I'm still experimenting and just learning this stuff, I decided to try to print it without support to see what happened. I figured out that problems would occur at the shoulder and I could cancel it without much having been printed. In fact I saw one string of plastic fall and I almost aborted the print. But decided to continue. Two, three, four times it happened, but I had the impression that the print was going to survive, and in fact did. This photo is just after removing it from the printer:

and this one after cutting off the hairs and hammering in a YYF tip:

While it was printing I was thinking the top had too much plastic and it was going to be too heavy, but that is not the case. It plays great! It's also very well balanced, in spite of the hairs I cut.
Great job by Jose and also Josef Prusa!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:27:59 PM by ta0 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 11:45:08 PM »

Nice print.

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 12:48:58 AM »

I have been making tops for eight years and still learning - and having FUN. You have a metal lathe? Make some tips.

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 05:54:37 AM »

It is indeed a nice print!!! Is it woobly with the plastic tip ? I had one friend print me out this top and my print was not as good a yours sadly :(.. ( and the said friend
didn't want to reprint me one better )...

Cheers y'alls!
Spinning is life!!!!

butterfingers

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 09:25:06 AM »

Looks great!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »

It is indeed a nice print!!! Is it woobly with the plastic tip ?
Not at all. I took that photo with the phone on my left hand while the top spun on the fingernail of my right thumb . . .

By the way, I used 200 micron layers, solid fill, and it took a little over 6 hours to print.

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 11:56:51 AM »

It is indeed a nice print!!! Is it woobly with the plastic tip ?
Not at all. I took that photo with the phone on my left hand while the top spun on the fingernail of my right thumb . . .

By the way, I used 200 micron layers, solid fill, and it took a little over 6 hours to print.

Yep mine is definitively not that great :) But that's amazing!!! Cheers!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 12:46:00 PM »

Happy new year to ta0.  You will have lots and lots of interesting adventures with that printer.  Congratulations!!!  Good work.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »

I'm not planning on making traditional throw tops in the near future. But I'm working on an idea for a spinning toy.

I think you're in for a lot of fun. Shapes and structures you can turn on a lathe occupy only a small corner of spintoy design space.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:43:07 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

jmadrigal

• ITSA
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 08:18:14 PM »

How long did it take you to build your machine?
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up