iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: big top in germany(vid)  (Read 120 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
big top in germany(vid)
« on: November 23, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »

hi all
this video was posted a month ago , already over 60 000 views ! i'm jealous >:D

very good low-key fun with a 23kg top , in the countryside, dad and kid and mom at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTpxeLifN-I

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Re: big top in germany(vid)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »

That video made me laugh. Wish I had a translation.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 10:35:31 AM »

Yes, that was funny! ;D

He calls it with the Spanish name trompo, not the German kreisel. But the shape is closer to a Chinese tuoluo.
In fact, from the way he tries to start it, I bet he was inspired by the videos of Lin Sen Hai starting his giant Taiwanese top. Maybe from one edited with a Spanish title.  ::)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »

Hilarious! A for perseverence, D for learning from mistakes.

Beautiful demo of the main reason that LEGO show visitors fail with my finger tops: Way too much focus on getting the top up to speed and way too little on keeping it upright -- especially at the moment of release. Telling them to back off on the torque and keep the top as vertical as possible is usually all they need to succeed -- at least with my easier tops. (The hard ones require fine tilt control at high torque -- a combo that only comes with practice.)

So at least our video heroes are in good company: My more motivated but less practiced visitors tend to crank hard and fail over and over and over until I intervene. 

Addendum: From the success at 2:44, we see that the drill had the torque vs. speed curve needed to get the top well above critical speed. The failures with the drill were mainly from inadequate tilt control near release.

To be charitable, maybe their later abandonment of tilt control in favor of even more speed was their way of demonstrating the value of tilt control.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:10:39 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO