iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dyeing Experiment  (Read 8175 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Dyeing Experiment
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 02:30:18 PM »

I do like the looks of it!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »

Another attempt at dye patterns.  Unfortunately I got too hollow crazy and this top had to be scrapped (one wall too thin and too fragile for actual play).

Hope ypu're keeping it as a showpiece if nothing else.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 11:08:21 PM »

Experimented with an angular design like Dazzling Dave's and also an experiment in color design.  Hope you enjoy, I was more happy with how the top looks than it plays (It's a bearing top that probably plays better fixed... and I may or may not have perfectionist tendencies...). I'm thinking I'll be selling this one as well (gives me an excuse and funding to keep on experimenting).  Just shy of 2.5" diameter and just over 100 grams.  Delrin with a stainless steel bearing tip.

How it looks spinning:

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 11:13:21 PM »

I was more happy with how the top looks than it plays (It's a bearing top that probably plays better fixed... and I may or may not have perfectionist tendencies...).
This quote in no way refers to Dave's angular top design, it refers to my own manufacturing abilities.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 11:12:33 PM »

More gorgeous tops from you, Jospin -- right down to the harmony between the body and tip profiles!

A peg top's body and shoulder often meet at a fairly sharp angle -- e.g., here and in my 3-inch Relampago. But body profile angles (between shoulder and tip) are much less common.

Q1:How do your body profile angles affect play?

Q2:Why are body profile angles so uncommon?

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 10:35:31 AM »

Q1:How do your body profile angles affect play?

Q2:Why are body profile angles so uncommon?
Thanks!  Hopefully I understand your questions.
Q1: I think the angled profile forces more weight out and down, possibly making the top more stable.

Q2: I think it's uncommon because it's not traditional.

vegabomb

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 11:50:29 PM »

Have you tried anything other than hot glue for a mask? I bought a couple white Giulias and I’d like to dye them. I don’t think white glue will hold up in the hot water so I’m looking for other ideas.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »

Have you tried anything other than hot glue for a mask? I bought a couple white Giulias and I’d like to dye them. I don’t think white glue will hold up in the hot water so I’m looking for other ideas.

I've tried hot glue, rubber cement, and silicone so far.  Hot glue works pretty well and provides a sharp line between the dyed and non-died segment.  Rubber cement does as well, though my rubber cement (barges) is super viscous and works better for splash patterns than the stripes I've been trying to do.  I may try another brand though to see if it'll work better.  Silicone is kind of a hit and miss.  It doesn't grip the delrin super well, so it peels off very easily and the dye can seep under the edges.  If you have any bits of delrin (you may be able to order small pieces from amazon or ebay for cheap) to practice on, I would suggest trying to mask with those before having a go at your nice top. 

Here's a small piece you can get for a couple bucks.  Cut it up for multiple tests.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013HLYN6/ref=biss_dp_t_buying_options

vegabomb

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »

Thanks for the info. I have a few delrin pieces I’m going to test on. I wonder if electrical tape would work...?

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »

Let me know if it does, I haven't tried it yet.  I don't know if the hot water and the adhesive will agree, but you don't really need it to stick super well, just enough to keep the water off.

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 11:45:49 PM »

I once had a bottle of brush-on liquid masking film for use on plastic models or artwork. Not sure if it is strong enough to stay on in a hot dye though.

Your tops look great by your method!

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »

I once had a bottle of brush-on liquid masking film for use on plastic models or artwork. Not sure if it is strong enough to stay on in a hot dye though.

Your tops look great by your method!

I just watched a video and that looks like good stuff!  It seems like it might work, though I don't know if the dye would penetrate through it or not.  I'll have to keep it in mind and maybe give it a try.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »

Looks like Dylan is doing all sorts of relevant stuff lately.  He uses Elmer's School Glue as a mask and it seems to work fine.
https://youtu.be/nTiq6-3ofYM

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 01:10:11 AM »

Jospin: Did you mention what kind of dye you're using? Any idea if it would also work with ABS?

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 04:46:50 PM »

Jospin: Did you mention what kind of dye you're using? Any idea if it would also work with ABS?
I'm using the Rit DyeMore (same as Dylan uses in his video).  You can use the same dye for ABS and Polycarbonates, but the process is different.  Luckily, Dylan posted a video of that as well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBwRRgApYyg&t=955s