iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Finally ordered a QSH and it's arriving today  (Read 3442 times)

Christop

Finally ordered a QSH and it's arriving today
« on: November 08, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »

So I've been throwing for around 3-4 months at this point and have gone through 10 cheap plastic tops (with 4 of those getting destroyed either by me slamming them on the ground repeatedly while learning or losing them to cars at intersections while I'm mindlessly playing waiting for a walk sign). So far my favorite tops have been the Trompo Grande and the Short Circuit. In terms of my skill level I'm now regularly keeping rollercoasters to string going on my TG for around 10 catches.

Following Jose's advice on Short Circuit -> Trompo Grande -> QSH I have finally made the plunge for the most praised regeneration top on this board. 

During that 20% sale at YoYoSam I purchased a gold and white QSH and after a brief USPS delay is on the way to my house. I know some people have suggested balancing it for an absolutely perfect spin, but are there any other tips to keep in mind when throwing a heavier top?

Thanks

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Re: Finally ordered a QSH and it's arriving today
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:10:52 PM »

Not play near windows!!! At least until you are certain about your boomerang!!! Can end up badly!! My house has permanent scars from my bearing QSH!!! The QSH too, but these are just love mark!
Spinning is life!!!!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:37:56 PM »

- If it has the brass tip be gentle with it. They are soft and you'll grind it up (or bend it!) in a hurry over rough/hard surfaces.
- contact JMadrigal for a 3D printed crown. I have a couple from him without the electronics installed. They look good and play well - and it allows you to store string and button inside the top.
- I haven't needed to balance my QSH tops. Either I got lucky with well balanced tops or I'm not sophisticated enough to know that they are unbalanced.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 06:47:25 PM »

guarantee you wont be disappointed  ;) 

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 06:50:16 PM »

Problem with balence comes from the original crown so if you have Jose one you'll be fine!!!

Christop

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 07:14:17 PM »

- If it has the brass tip be gentle with it. They are soft and you'll grind it up (or bend it!) in a hurry over rough/hard surfaces.
- contact JMadrigal for a 3D printed crown. I have a couple from him without the electronics installed. They look good and play well - and it allows you to store string and button inside the top.
- I haven't needed to balance my QSH tops. Either I got lucky with well balanced tops or I'm not sophisticated enough to know that they are unbalanced.

The brass tip on my Grande is completely worn down from playing over concrete so I will have to change my throwing habits lol

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »

The brass tip on my Grande is completely worn down from playing over concrete so I will have to change my throwing habits lol
[/quote]

Dale Oliver has provided me with many replacement tips.

Mr. Oliver's email to me in July:

Hi Dave,
The points are interchangeable in Trompo and QSH. They are slip fit instead of press fit so they do not hold in place. You have to put a bit of super glue to hold them in. They will still come out when struck from inside in order to change them.
Brass are $2.25, Steel are $2.75.
YO'ers,
Dale

Contact him if you are interested in having some spare tips on hand. Shipping was very reasonable and he mails stuff out speedyquick. I suggest you grab a few of each to see which you like better.

Christop

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 10:14:54 PM »

guarantee you wont be disappointed  ;)

Out of the box the string was a tad too long for my throw and the tape was overlapping in a way that made the top a bit unbalanced, but after adjusting the string and replacing the tape over an hour or so throwing it's an absolutely amazing top. It still feels just the slightest bit wobbly on the hand and on the string so I will definitely be doing a bit of balancing tomorrow to make it perfect, but the weight and spin of this top is just the next level for sure. None of my other tops even come close.

Is there a proper way to remove the cap on the spintastics tops? I removed the TG's by using a flathead screwdriver but it's a pretty blunt force method and damages the edge of the cap.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:18:08 PM by Christop »

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »

I usually use a failed side mount catch to get them to pop off! Works and you don't have to pry anything!

QSH is as amazing as everyone tells it to be
Welcome to the real world
Paxl

valerieyo

• ITSA
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »

Dale and I have always said that it wasn't the kids that put the dings in the walls and ceiling, it was us! LOL

Christop

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 12:54:06 AM »

Dale and I have always said that it wasn't the kids that put the dings in the walls and ceiling, it was us! LOL

I have managed to go one week of regularly throwing this top inside without breaking anything or putting any holes in the wall but I have had a few close calls with windows and the tv, lol.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 07:51:58 AM »

Nice!!

Yeah, I remember some close call with absolutely everything inside my house =)

Cheers,
pax