iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is there a good way to clean/sharpen a plastic tip  (Read 94 times)

Christop

Is there a good way to clean/sharpen a plastic tip
« on: September 14, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »

Both my original and replacement tips for my Short Circuit are a little eaten up from landing on concrete but it really effects the spin on the hand and I'm wondering if there is a good method of sanding/buffing the tips to get back to better play without having to buy another tip replacement set since I don't have much disposable income right now.

Thanks!

paxl13

Re: Is there a good way to clean/sharpen a plastic tip
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 01:46:17 PM »

Personally I would just use a top with a stainless steel tip on concrete... They are virtually undestructable ( well no... but far much less than plastic )...

If I were to attempt it I'd use a drill and some sandpaper and go slowly...

Cheers,
Paxl

Christop

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »

I'm so scared of the Grande tip breaking on concrete and I don't have any backups but I have noticed that the few times I have dropped it tip first onto concrete it looks untouched so that probably is the better way to go.

EDIT: Also I stumbled into a way to do it using the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup. Thanks youtube videos about sharpening plastic knives.

paxl13

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »

Problem with grande is that on a bad drop, the whole top can explode. the plastic mold isn't that great / solid as opposed to a QSH...

If you want to buy a metal top without breaking the bank. Contact Dale direct & try to buy an hornet ( it's a smaller, taller QSH )... I paid 25$ for my last one... But again
QSH is the way to go if you only want to buy one. I'd also advise to buy a fixed tip & a couple of spare tip... The only problem with the QSH is that the tip is in brass
which is bad for concrete .. ( it will eat up your tip... )

It also depend on what you want to focus. If you want the top of the top for bearing, AFAIK, Strummol is the king. For regen play, QSH is. But bear in mind I have almost
never play bearing. I've always been obssed with regenerations. So I do not own any Strummol8.

Cheers,

Christop

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »

Thank you for that information! I think my Grande may actually have a brass tip as well (at least the color indicates it could be brass). You are the second person to tell me to contact Dale directly about things I can't find online through other outlets so I may need to do that. I have looked at the Hornet a few times on the Spintastics website but noticed that it was nowhere to be found on any of the online retailers I've looked at.

I really started learning the top once I got a bearing top but I've definitely fallen in love with fixed tip play (especially now that I'm catching lassos and trapeze throws most of the time) so likely going forward that will be my focus.