iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best idea ever for removing tips from tops  (Read 2853 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Best idea ever for removing tips from tops
« on: October 29, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »

Hey y'alls, I was browsing Jospin's youtube history when I found this amazing stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN6bfDER9V4

This would be amazing to not break 'screwed' bearing tips when you want to clean bearings / fix bearing gap / stuff! My poor A tip for my bearing QSH is not that nice
b/c I didn't knew waht I was doing so long ago.

I could also see using this to service a Strummol8... Now the good question would be what would be the best material to service a brass spintastic tip ?
Second question, is there a steel bearing A-tip ? The brass one is so friable!!!

Anyway
Just some info and thanks Jospin for that idea. I'll definitively make one pair for myself!!!
Spinning is life!!!!

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Re: Best idea ever for removing tips from tops
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 09:32:37 AM »

Thanks!  I think I edited out where I got the idea for the copper to protect the steel (didn't flow well and the video was already longer than I wanted it to be).  The person you should really be thanking is Chris Neff, he mentions using copper in his video about servicing a strummol8 top.  I just figured I'd glue the copper on to the jaws so I wouldn't be looking around all the time for small bits of copper.
https://youtu.be/YcRuZ_BRNX0?t=19

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:59:45 AM »

Thanks!  I think I edited out where I got the idea for the copper to protect the steel (didn't flow well and the video was already longer than I wanted it to be).  The person you should really be thanking is Chris Neff, he mentions using copper in his video about servicing a strummol8 top.  I just figured I'd glue the copper on to the jaws so I wouldn't be looking around all the time for small bits of copper.
https://youtu.be/YcRuZ_BRNX0?t=19

Yep but I never had seen an implementation of that! Gratz to you two =)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »

I was thinking, would 2 small part of wood works instead of copper, I don't have access to copper easily but I could use to small part of wood in a vice... I'm kind of
anxious about my old ways b/c well they were not functionning and I have to open a S8 now.... so :(

I'm in brain wood is less hard than stainless / brass but I might be crazy!
Cheers,
paxl

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 11:15:28 AM »

As long as it’s softer it should work,  I used some aluminum the other day and it worked fine

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »

I ended up using just a layer of leather... and hoped for the best... the tip survivde but the person that thightened it that hard... was inhumane... So to remove the s8 tip. I had to use the long handle with the box and hit on it while having my vice grip as thight as I could... no wonder my guilia wasn't spinning long enough but suprisingly.. it was spinning still for 1.5 min...

Anyway all fixed now!!! I can almost unscrew it with my hands now so that's good too!
Thanks Jospin... I need a way to hold these tip that less stressful / dangerous to the tip...
Cheers,