iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Report from Shanghai worlds 2018  (Read 15873 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Report from Shanghai worlds 2018
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »

Sorry to hear there was a shortage of places for top spinners to throw.  But then, there was no shortage of security.  That had to feel weird.  Both of those situations will be totally different next year in Cleveland.

Such a big city and it is still only #2 in the world.  The list I looked at had the top three all from China.

I look forward to your report of the kongzhu players.  From what I have seen, it seems that they are all men and all older.  I look around the rec. centers in our area (since I am male and older) but have yet to find an exercise group like that around these parts.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2018, 11:43:45 PM »

That's actually a very nice picture we want more of these!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2018, 01:11:45 AM »

The park (Haung Xing park) was a 10 minute walk from my hotel. On one side of the street are the sports fields which I didn't visit, but on the other side there are mostly trees and trails, plus a large lake. I went 3 times, but I would have gone every day if I could have, always before 8AM because of the heat. I went looking for kongzhu, but I found mostly groups doing Tai-Chi, Chi-Kung, and many other Chinese disciplines, sometimes using fake swords or fans. The vast majority were older people, but the ratio between men and women appeared to be pretty even. On my second day, asking for kongzhu and moving my arms as if I was playing, I found a group of about 7 people, including some women (yes, they play kongzhu). They were very kind and gave me some tips (using gestures). This was one of my teachers:

I was surprised that all their kongzhus had one-way bearings. After I demonstrated some top tricks with my Hollow Point, one of them grabbed the top, tried to rotate the tip and was surprised that it was fixed. So I gave him a bearing top, but he was still puzzled. Only when I gave him a one-way bearing top he seemed satisfied.  ;D  As I said before they recognized a whipping top, but unfortunately they told me that at that park there were none (I'm guessing it's more a winter activity).

On my last day I joined for a little bit a couple of groups that were doing ballroom dancing to Chinese music  :D . Farid and another Colombian were with me and they joined something like group hackey sack with something similar to a badminton shuttlecock. Great vibe all around the park (on some parts there were speakers with relaxing music).

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2018, 01:21:12 AM »

A true string stand:

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »

I don't know if this has any interest, but I left a camera recording the freestyles from a chair on the side of the stage. The camera is blocked several times and even moved. But you see the performance from the perspective of the players waiting for their turn, and perhaps you hear different shouts. Here is Kanti's performance.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2018, 10:48:34 PM »

Shun missed the two-koma shuffle on his freestyle. He did it several times in practice, and it was impressive:

Actually, I would say, VERY impressive!  :o

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2018, 06:01:14 PM »

Tao - you have had lessons from Kongzhu players in China? you lucky so-and-so! I will be bringing two of my Kongzhu tops with me to Miamisburg. Would you please make some time to teach me? I would love to be able to play with them but I have had very little success. Do you think you could get me started?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »

Tao - you have had lessons from Kongzhu players in China? you lucky so-and-so! I will be bringing two of my Kongzhu tops with me to Miamisburg. Would you please make some time to teach me? I would love to be able to play with them but I have had very little success. Do you think you could get me started?
Sure, but actually Jim Neff is the local expert. And Mike is good too.

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2018, 08:13:30 AM »

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up