iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Report from Shanghai worlds 2018  (Read 15809 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Report from Shanghai worlds 2018
« on: August 07, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »

I'm at the hotel in Shanghai. Not the event hotel but one a couple of blocks away. I already met Farid who is very excited to be competing.  I also saw the Mexican contingent who are staying at the same hotel.

Farid brought a bunch of 4 inch tops to compete:

Shanghai is quite warm and humid. It will be a challenge to play outside. We'll see if the event hotel has enough carpet.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Report from Shanghai worlds 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:55:04 AM »

If the guy from San Antonio who plays outside in the summer heat says it is warm and humid it must REALLY be warm and humid.  Glad you made it there safely.  Hope all goes well in the land of the red dragon.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »

If the guy from San Antonio who plays outside in the summer heat says it is warm and humid it must REALLY be warm and humid.
You bet!

I went to the Hyatt and got my badge an T-shirt. There was a sign saying "no yoyoing" by the signature wall where they took your photo, but it didn't say anything about "topping". So my badge photo has a top spinning on my fingernail  ;)
I met Dale and had a long conversation. He told me that Rob and Taka were there, but I didn't see them.
I went to visit some parts of Shanghai, but now I feel too sleepy to go back. Google Maps has the Hyayt in the wrong place: it's a 15 minute walk from here, not 2 minute  >:(

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:15:35 PM by ta0 »

Attila

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 02:01:45 PM »

Oh how much I want to be there  :'(

I saw Taka's post a facebook with the no yoyoing sign it is hilarious :D Your manouver with the bagde photo is quite cheeky  ;D

Can't wait to see this year's performances I'm sure I will have even more motivation to make it to worlds some day, I'm soo excited!

Google Maps has the Hyayt in the wrong place: it's a 15 minute walk from here, not 2 minute  >:(
Maybe you set it on vehicle mode instead of walking  ;D

Looking forward to hearing from you!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 03:52:28 PM »

hi all

has somebody got the link to the live stream ??

thanx

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »

I am still laughing about the "no yoyoing" sign when they take your picture for the pass.  I remember years ago having a top in my hand for the picture and then showing it to ta0.  He got this sad look and said "I wish I would have remembered to do that".  Glad you got your top in the picture this year.

I also remember another year in Orlando when ta0's box of tops was near the photo booth and I grabbed it for my picture.  It made for a nice display next to my smiling face and everyone seeing my pass thought they were my tops.  That was quite humorous at the time because I had so few tops.

Hope you are having fun without me.  Sorry I cannot be there to guard your spinners.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 04:51:34 PM »

I would like to see those big tops in action.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 07:25:32 PM »

Yesterday was a good top day. With Ko and Farid we were several hours throwing tops in a big terrace with grass and wood floors in the 7th floor. The weather was a little less warm and humid. But stiil too hot for Val to play outside. Hopefully today the AC wiil be on in the "practice room" wich is big and has carpet.
We had several Chinese yoyo players who had never seen a top inerested and taught them to throw. A couple of them kept at it for a couple of hours until they were landing boomerangs!

Finally met Rob in the night.

Now I'm heading to a park to look for kongzhu players.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:31:57 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 09:34:12 PM »

Wow....that has to be a first at worlds.  Throwing tops as a group on the 7th floor.  It sounds exciting, except I would probably have to stay inside with Val!

Good luck with finding the kongzhu players.  I studied their videos like crazy when I was working on that style of play.

Glad to hear Rob made it and glad to hear about the progress of the Chinese yoyo players and their boomerangs.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 10:41:05 PM »

I forgot to mention that Taka also played with us a little bit. He has created a new style of play (or is it a new skill toy?) with his koma version of the P213. He could win . . .

Success! I met a group of konzhu players!  :) I got some clases on proper moves. I also showed them a little bit of tops. At first they didn't seem to recognize it, but when I said tuoluo they inmediately made the whipping action of a whip top.
Tomorrow I will try to arrive to the park by 7AM as they leave before 8 (when it's already too hot).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:33:53 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 06:01:03 AM »

Go Taka!!!  It was just a matter of time.

And good work finding those kongzhu players.  I can't wait to hear more about that.

So, tuoluo is the key word.  It has got to be tough to communicate.  I know nothing about their language.

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 11:56:04 AM »

Hi, I wish you all the best in this World Cup and I want you to help me to know at what time of Mexico will be the transmission I leave the link for you to be followed by greetings and luck spinning competitors

TROMPO MEXICO

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 11:58:55 AM »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 04:15:53 PM »

That is one weird link.  Looks like some computer game right now

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 04:31:29 PM »

Looks like the spin top finals are 5:30-6:00pm Shanghai time on the 11th...and they are 12 hours different from us in Eastern Standard Timing.  So, here in Miamisburg we could watch this live at 5:30am until 6:00am.  Hmmm!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up