iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fire Top  (Read 9523 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Fire Top
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 12:21:29 AM »

We once discussed the possibility of putting the wick on a bearing to stop it from rotating as fast as the body. I finally tried it using basically the same mod than for my fixed tip fire tops.

I drilled the back of a QS bearing tip:

Then gave it a #40 thread with a hand tap to match the one on the shafts I had made (out of knitting needles) for the previous fire top prototypes. Here is the assembled bearing fire tip:

I wrapped wick cord around the shaft and tied it using kevlar thread:

I used the body of the QS I sawed out of frustration when the cap froze; here is the assembled bearing fire top:

I have done some "dry" tests and I am not too hopeful about how it is going to work. Balance is a major problem as even if the shaft starts centered it bends quite easily. In the fixed tip tops the wick could press against the walls, so this was not a problem. With difficulty I could do a corkscrew. I think I will also make a fixed-tip fire top to take to jugglefest Friday . . .

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 12:40:14 AM »

What a fantastic idea, though.  I'm lost in thought...

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 04:32:50 PM »

Why not put the wick on a bearing that is attached to the crown, like in the Double-Tip Yo-yo Jam tops?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 05:53:42 PM »

I think the wick on an independent bearing is a very good idea. With my mod the wick still spins at full speed on the throw.  The only problem with putting it on the crown is that the top will be very top-heavy. Perhaps making a fixed tip with a long shaft, putting a bearing at the end and a tube with the wick over it? Something to try next year?

NickC

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »

<object><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/163396357023507"></param><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/163396357023507" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1"></embed></object>

This link is to the video of the fire top I made for Matt that you mentioned in February of 2010, lol.  I think the privacy settings will only work for "friends of friends," so good luck!

If I come across the original file sometime I'll upload it to Vimeo.  The top worked really well but I lost it when I moved from Florida.   :-\

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 02:07:31 PM »

So, are you the nickel-eye?  Do you have photos of the top?  Matt kind of described it to me but I forgot the details.  I may have a copy of that video of Matt playing it.  It did worked very well.