iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rob and Miss Jane at Lakeside, Ohio  (Read 1283 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Rob and Miss Jane at Lakeside, Ohio
« on: July 24, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »

This is an act that is coming to this little waterside resort called "Lakeside".  It is on Lake Erie and has been around for nearly 150 years.  It is part of the Chatauqia movement which was big in the Methodist church a hundred years ago but now is one of the few continuously running camps remaining.  The place feels like a throwback in time with lots of walking and biking and families playing games and classes and worship services.  They bring in entertainment and I happen to be here when Rob and Miss Jane are the featured event of the evening. 

Has anyone heard of them?  She is from Ukraine and has a dance background.  He is from Chinatown in NYC and has long been involved in circus arts.  I am trying to meet them and introduce them to top spinning.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: Rob and Miss Jane at Lakeside, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »

Well, apparently no one else knows them.  The show starts at 8:15 and the doors opened at 7:45.  I was here to "rush the doors"......maybe it wasn't a big rush but I did get a seat in the front row of this 2500 seat historic wood auditorium.

I was here at 5:30 and met them before their sound check.  They are nice people and so young.  I asked them about Mark Hayward and they acted like they knew him.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 08:07:40 PM »

Still a few minutes until show time.  As I look onstage I see a ukelele case, a bunch of metal cups (5 or 6), two stilt legs, two wine bottles, a hula-hoop, a couple big suitcases of unknown contents and a sign that says "Allez-oops".  Hmmmm.  No spin top in sight.  Rats.

Renee

• ITSA

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »

It was good to meet Rob and Miss Jane from the Ukraine.  They had a nice family show and played it up for the kids with slapstick and other fun stuff.  There was some significant skill behind everything, though.  Rob did some nice work with cups and finished with six.  He is excellent on stilts and even did a handstand on three chairs with the stilts high in the sky.  That was quite dramatic.  Jane from the Ukraine showed off some of her unique bottle walking talents.  That was very interesting and she did several variations on that skill.  She didn't say much, though.  Rob did all the talking.  It all worked together well because there were crowds of kids running down to get a card with their picture and an autograph.  I stayed around for a while enjoying all the smiles before I said my final goodbyes.  They both stopped what they were doing to thank me and said "thanks for hanging out with us."  It was a nice evening with some nice folks.