iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: QSH Better bearings  (Read 3423 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
QSH Better bearings
« on: July 12, 2018, 09:24:40 AM »

Hey y'alls,

Simple question, is there any good QSH sized bearing I could buy to replace the ones in my QSH... I did clean them using the same procedure as everyone is folowing for yoyos and such but to no avail... they just don't spin that good. After cleaning them up at the very least they do not lock anymore but still!

Thanks for the input
paxl
Spinning is life!!!!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
Re: QSH Better bearings
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:00:54 PM »

I picked up some replacement bearings recently from the local hobby shop. The size is 5x10x4. I believe this is size A. I bought the basic steel shielded bearings and they worked well. I don't know if they are better then the bearings that come with the QSH tops but they are much better than the worn bearings I replaced. They were $1.29 each.

I also splurged on some semi ceramic bearings from yoyo sam. They were pretty expensive but they are really smooth.  these were $12.99 each (!).

There is a variety of bearings that have a rubber shield. I stayed away from that type as I have been told that the rubberized shield reduces the amount of spin. These are used in situations where the bearing needs to be protected from moisture and dirt.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:12:13 AM »

I picked up some replacement bearings recently from the local hobby shop. The size is 5x10x4. I believe this is size A. I bought the basic steel shielded bearings and they worked well. I don't know if they are better then the bearings that come with the QSH tops but they are much better than the worn bearings I replaced. They were $1.29 each.

I also splurged on some semi ceramic bearings from yoyo sam. They were pretty expensive but they are really smooth.  these were $12.99 each (!).

There is a variety of bearings that have a rubber shield. I stayed away from that type as I have been told that the rubberized shield reduces the amount of spin. These are used in situations where the bearing needs to be protected from moisture and dirt.

Thanks sir, I'll contact YYS to see if he has anything!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 11:09:30 AM »

Well, I'll definitvely need to do something about my bearings, the bearing is starting to lock up again :(... I'll either buy bearings form YYS or someplace else... but yeah... I'll be there sooner than later... or I'll just convert my 2nd QSH to a fix tip... and forget that bearing tops exist!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »

or I'll just convert my 2nd QSH to a fix tip... and forget that bearing tops exist!!!
Spintastics makes great fixed tip tops, but not so much bearing tops. The QSH weight puts lots of stress on the bearings when it hits the ground.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »

or I'll just convert my 2nd QSH to a fix tip... and forget that bearing tops exist!!!
Spintastics makes great fixed tip tops, but not so much bearing tops. The QSH weight puts lots of stress on the bearings when it hits the ground.

I sadly don't have any other good bearing top sadly :( Would need a Strumoll8 at some point...But yeah that top might become my mexican tip top while the other retains it's brass tip...

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 04:58:19 AM »

Agree!!!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 11:37:18 AM »

Out of curiosity... why is the QSH worst than say a Guilla ?.. Is the answer only a small bearing for that big of a weight ?

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »

In case anyone dig this old thread. I'm gonna answer my own question... now that I have some proper skills and both tops. QSH and Giulia are both amazing tops... BUT...

Off the box, with no customisation, the S8 is 10x better than the QSH. First big problem of my QSH was that it was imballence, so after converting it to fix tip and ballencing it to butter smooth that's problem number one fixed. Second problem is that the bearing that came with the QSH were old and broken. I don't remember when I first bought the top if
they were good but I have the feeling that I just had a dud. I changed them with some fresh bearings from Dale and with that and the proper balencing. now my QSH will spin for over 2.5 minute off a strong boomerang ( which is longer than my S8 ). So now. With that QSH vs the Guilia. how is one better than the other. The answer is they are different.

The Guilia is easier to launch airborne b/c of it's weight and is easier for tricking IMO b/c of the weight distribution. But on a nice trick sequence. the QSH will allow you do do more I think. But they are both amazing. So with the QSH I was able to pull consecutively 55+ crazy 8 while on the S8 I did 35 and then had to stop. The QSH handle itself less good at lowspeed b/c of the weight while the S8 can pretty much trick to the point where it doen't turn anymore...

Anyway, I hope is was useful to somebody :)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »

i maintain that the best bearing.....is an immobilized one  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »

That's the Jack I remember!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »

alive and well my dear sir  ;D

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »

alive and well my dear sir  ;D

It feels like Jack!!! But to be fair, I kind of like bearing top theses days, I'm sure I'll be back with fixed tips at some points!