iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: So I'm finally making tops..  (Read 1678 times)

kyo

• Gold Member
So I'm finally making tops..
« on: July 11, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »

Not the throwing kind, but still neat :)

Some of you may have seen my fb page or IG about these, but I figured I'd share with everyone here as well.

This is the first of the Breakout Tops that I've been working on for the last year. It's a finger top (aka pocket top, desk top, whatever you call it) that actually -fits in your pocket-. The stem snaps out (pat. pend.) via magnets and can be stored in a handy carrying case. The parts are also interchangeable, so you can swap tip and body combinations.

This first one is made from rather exotic materials.

The center of the body is made from Superconductor wire (copper encasing 144 titanium-niobium alloy filaments), the outer ring is anodized and stonewashed Titanium, the stem is steel, the ball tip is tungsten carbide.

Diameter - 1.220"
Height - 1.215"
Weight - 35.1g

This is effectively a prototype showing the final design, but I may sell it via my IG or FB page. I will have these available soon in varying metal combinations soon in limited quantities. If there is enough interest I'll actually do a short production run as well.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: So I'm finally making tops..
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »

Beautiful! Especially like the colors, simple shape, and modular design.

Very curious about this top. Do you have video? How long does it spin? (Spin time isn't everything.) I make modular LEGO tops.

Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »

This reminds me that I have one of yours.  I have not seen it recently.  It must tucked away in some little side pocket of one of my bags.  I think I got it in Cleveland.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »

Nice design! I hope you get the patent.

That's a top in the pure EDC (everyday carry) tradition, including the exotic materials.

Superconducting metal?  :o If somebody coming to Miamisburg this year gets this top, he should bring it to John's lab. He can put it in his helium cryogenic Dewar and really make it superconduct.  8)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »

I'd love to have a top like this, but we all have our fantasies. Mine is for a top made of some of my favorite elements -- maybe a tantalum-niobium-irridium-polonium alloy. Granted, it'd be pretty radioactive, and in the worst possible way for actual play. But fantasies don't have to be perfect.

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 03:19:50 PM »

Nice design! I hope you get the patent.

That's a top in the pure EDC (everyday carry) tradition, including the exotic materials.

Superconducting metal?  :o If somebody coming to Miamisburg this year gets this top, he should bring it to John's lab. He can put it in his helium cryogenic Dewar and really make it superconduct.  8)

Yea it's very much designed for the EDC crowd.. they're my primary market because, well, they do things like spend $6700 on a top ;) (seriously, I've seen two tops sell in that price range recently)

I'll be doing some more affordable versions too though, I'm in the process of getting my small CNC set up to make those :)

I'll post a spin video tonight after I get it uploaded.

Kyle