iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thanks Salvador!  (Read 3871 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Thanks Salvador!
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:36:44 PM »

Salvador sent me for my collection the blue top with the black writing: it is the top with which he learned to regenerate!!! I feel it should belong to a museum or at least the Hall of Fame (but don't hold your breath, Mike  ;) )
On the crown it is signed "Salvathor MTZ." The writing around the body says: "Con este trompo logré regenerar por vez primera" [with this top I achieved regeneration for the first time] and a dedication to me. Considering that Salvador has created probably more regeneration variations than any other player ever, it is a great honor to have it in my collection. Thanks!

The top is from 5 Estrellas, probably a Professional but it has lost the logo.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
Re: Thanks Salvador!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »

I'd love to see the rest of your collection.  How about zoom out. 8)
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:09:02 AM »

How about zoom out
:-\

This is my latest acquisition: a 6.5" tall vintage top. It does not have a real spintop tip: it is just pointy. But I could still boomerang it  :D

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:31:20 AM »

Are you sure that's vintage?  I have one of those and have seen a bunch on e-bay over the years.  I'm not sure how old they are but I'm pretty certain they are just folk art, meant to look old for decorative purposes.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »

Oh, yes, I think you are right, they are decorative folk art. But from the surface condition of mine (patina + stains + dents) I am sure it has seen quite a few years of life. My guess is that it is vintage from the 60's or earlier (oops! I AM vintage!  :-[ ).  For $13.47 I think it was a good deal.

I wonder how many of these have been boomeranged before. Perhaps none: without knowing the knot trick it looks impossible to wrap. I always make a point of boomeranging any top I get (that is not a finger top, of course, and even then . . . ) What reminds me that I have two much larger decorative tops a friend brought from Mexico I have not been able to. I guess it is time to try again  ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:35:47 AM by ta0 »

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »

Those are definitely relatively new, and made to look old right out of the store!  Those clever Chinese folks!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 12:39:31 PM »

Yes Don, those Chinese are clever...they even fooled "Ta0 the collector" ;)  Mine too has been Boomeranged (though not very well) around two years ago when I got it.   Now it just sits on a shelf, away from the other "real" tops.  If the colors weren't so nice, I might have to send it to the Island of Misfit Toys...or Island of Toy Impostors  :o
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:43:08 PM by SpinQueen »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 01:21:14 PM »

Well, I realized it was not a "playing top" before buying it (not with that tip). I would say it is a real top as it spins nicely if you know how to throw it. If it was made in the last 10 years I may feel somewhat fooled, just because the auction said it was older not because it wasn't worth the price, but I think it is at least 3 times that old. I just sent a question to the ebay dealer (kcpicker, 9000+ feedback) and I am curious to see what she says.

By the way, I don't consider myself a Collector with big C, like Don, Cyril or Eric. I am more a player. I collect mostly tops that either teach me something about playing or are "conversational" pieces (i.e., if the top can be an excuse to post something on the board I may go for it  ;) )
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:27:31 PM by ta0 »

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 03:08:11 PM »

Salvador sent me for my collection the blue top with the black writing: it is the top with which he learned to regenerate!!! I feel it should belong to a museum or at least the Hall of Fame (but don't hold your breath, Mike   )
On the crown it is signed "Salvathor MTZ." The writing around the body says: "Con este trompo logré regenerar por vez primera" [with this top I achieved regeneration for the first time] and a dedication to me. Considering that Salvador has created probably more regeneration variations than any other player ever, it is a great honor to have it in my collection. Thanks!

It`s just a present for a good friend. !!!! ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:52:10 PM by ta0 »