iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Chonkakegoma  (Read 3610 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Chonkakegoma
« on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »

Assuming I can regen easily on Mexican tops. How hard would it be to learn to use a Chonkakegoma ? Also, should I get the soft paper one before getting the wooden / Delrin on on spingear ?

Thanks for the info
Xavier
Spinning is life!!!!

unini

Re: Chonkakegoma
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »

Hi Xavier!

i was following some of your posts, and i think we are at a similar level. for me, it was rather easy to learn the basics with a chonkakegoma, so i think it will be easy for you too. though i can play a diabolo too, which helped me more for the chonkakegoma than it did for normal tops ... not sure for the type, i only got a wodden one. since it might be some postage anyway, why not get one wodden and one delrin?

Cheers,
Christoph

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »

Thanks Unini!

Pricing is a bit prohibitive =) They are both over 100 CAD :P I'll porbably get the paper one and if I like it get the Delrin one I think.

Thanks for confirming that!

Hi Xavier!

i was following some of your posts, and i think we are at a similar level. for me, it was rather easy to learn the basics with a chonkakegoma, so i think it will be easy for you too. though i can play a diabolo too, which helped me more for the chonkakegoma than it did for normal tops ... not sure for the type, i only got a wodden one. since it might be some postage anyway, why not get one wodden and one delrin?

Cheers,
Christoph

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:24:14 PM »

The Delrin one in my opinion is too heavy and the most difficult to spin of the three. But it's also the most durable.
The paper one is the easier to spin but it has to be played over a forgiving surface. Jack destroyed the one I gave him.
The wooden one is intermediate in both respects

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 02:48:07 PM »

The Delrin one in my opinion is too heavy and the most difficult to spin of the three. But it's also the most durable.
The paper one is the easier to spin but it has to be played over a forgiving surface. Jack destroyed the one I gave him.
The wooden one is intermediate in both respects

How forgiving does the surface need to be ? IE is outside on grass okay ? Or I really should pick up the wooden one directly ? ( Also. when I"ll be playing inside I have hard wood flooring inside... would the paper one survive that ? )

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:20:20 PM »

So I bought one paper one. we will see how I like it and I'll buy a better one if I like it a lot =)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 09:47:27 PM »

Assuming I can regen easily on Mexican tops. How hard would it be to learn to use a Chonkakegoma ?
Lots of folks that I have tried to teach Chonkake have trouble. They think that they need to force the big top to do its thing.  In reality a very relaxed form is needed.   I learned to regen on Chonkake first and then was able to regen other tops.  The basic move is like sewing machine.  I remember with fondness getting to 35.  Prepare to be dizzy.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 08:29:27 AM »

cool!

Well we will see that when it will arrive... =)

Also picked up the ver5 of the koma of spingear... I'm eager for that too :)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 07:39:53 AM »

They have arrived!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iecGnZ84rcSTPVn48

I'll give it a try later on!

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 09:23:09 AM »

So I bought one paper one. we will see how I like it and I'll buy a better one if I like it a lot =)

I think you made the right choice, paper version is a really good chonkake approach and you'll see if you like it ...
Chonkakegoma is really enjoyable and yes it gives good regen habits...

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »

Wow... after rougly 1h... and me dripping wet with sweat... I was able to pull of my first 'chonkake' regen ( as in the regen where you rotate with the top & is not a sewing machine )... Once I pull 3-4 consecutively I'm good b/c the precession basically slow down quite a bit... It is insanly fun!!! I already had loved regen so much that I don't know much tricks for Trompos except regens... This thing is amazing.. but one word of advice... 2h later I have a string burn :P and I'm not able to regen any trompos for now... I just basically pull too hard!! :)

But yeah... I can see this becoming one of my favorite top! :)
Cheers,
paxl

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »

I'm told that the lightweight cloth gloves you see many Japanese players wearing in videos are to protect against string burn.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »

I'm told that the lightweight cloth gloves you see many Japanese players wearing in videos are to protect against string burn.

Définitively need to find some!!

Hades

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 11:11:56 PM »

I have a light weight cloth glove I can give you if you want it. It's one of them yoyo gloves I have a few extra never been used. Just send me a pm

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »

Prepare to be dizzy.

WOW... once you get to the point where you can properly regen the Chonkake... I can barely stand 5 min before having to stop :)... That's insane... But it's the ultimate regen toy... We need to get some western store to carries them ( YYS, YYE and such )... I'm not sure how long tho it woudl take for somone that doesn't know anything about top to be able to get to an enjoyable point... the basic move need quite a bit of speed and dexterity!

Anyway. I'm in love!
paxl

Edit: yep dizziness will be my limiting factor :) but that's allrigh, I presume my body will adapt itself... BTW I can already see my trompos still improving... To start the Chonkake I use a Joker Choker and I'm almost albe to pull that with trompos witch is somethign I never wa sable to do previously :) Need nice chonkake now :) Probably wooden one.. as per Ta0 commmetns.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:47:11 PM by paxl13 »
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up