iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Where to get some good string?  (Read 392 times)

Hades

Where to get some good string?
« on: June 09, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »

I have ordered some of this https://www.yoyosam.com/collections/spin-tops/products/trompos-space-glow-in-the-dark-universal-replacement-spin-top-stringand some of this https://www.yoyosam.com/collections/spin-tops/products/trompos-space-glow-in-the-dark-universal-replacement-spin-top-string . The glow in the dark stuff is really short. The other at 60 inches is not bad, but still to short for some of my other tops. I would like to get some different colors, and different  thickness. Some stuff I can experiment with. If you gave some you can send me a PM. Thanks in advance.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Re: Where to get some good string?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »

So if YoYoPlay has the Spintastics string, which you can order in bulk. I am fairly pleased with it. I'm also using I think a #20 or #24 cotton twine/string I got an an Ace hardware. This string is a bit thicker bit gets soft fast. I cut my strings to around 84 inches, then loop it and tie a taught-line hitch so I can freely adjust the string length. I also mark my string at 4" increments starting at 60 inches. so I can figure adjustments. The downside is that sometimes that string that is taken up by the hitch knot can sometimes be a bit longer tnan I would prefer. Since I adjust string length from time to time to compensate for where I may be on any given day, I'm OK with this.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Hades

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »

I looked all over yoyoplay, and did not see any Spintastics string ( unless I'm over looking it ). I might take a trip to the hardware store to see what they have like you said. I wonder what type of dye would be the best to get some cool colors? I know some dyes could probably mess up the string.

paxl13

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 03:59:35 PM »

You probably can contact Dale Oliver directly to get some string...
I'll be honest I never found anything worth while except spintastic string. And yes 60 in is too short. I throw with 65-68in

Softspin

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »

I like spintadtics and yes you can get direct from dale .. neff has some sweet string also and try  czspintops great for strummol 8

paxl13

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »

I need to build a neffy string twister... or have some fun doing 4 ply by hand now that ouside is a possibility :)

Renee

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »

The kneffy twister is the best thing to happen to top string.  Knex - https://www.knex.com/parts-extras - had a deal where you get $5 off your first order.  When I placed my order back in February, the total was only $10.89. 

A whole new world opens up when you twist your own string.  You can make whatever diameter or length you want, not to mention color combos.  You can have a lot of fun with the string buttons, too.  I've used everything from my zoo membership card, to guitar picks, to wooden buttons, or cut up plastic lids. 

The best part is discovering which string works best for you on each top.  I like a six ply on my lightweight tops, like a Duncan Imperial.  On a heavier, but still small top, like a Cometa King Turbo, I use 8 ply.  But, the most surprising thing for me was that I really like a thicker string on my Spintastics QuickSilver, so I use 12 ply.

paxl13

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »

@Renee This looks simply amazing :)

When I get time I'll maybe order the part and have fun with them. i had hoped that my old Mechano would let me do this but all the gear sadly are broken ( due to rough use when I was young I guess! )

Anyway cheers!
paxl