iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whirlygigs and other spinning things  (Read 1329 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Whirlygigs and other spinning things
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:42:20 PM »

A couple kids on the track team were passing time at a meet (after they were already done and waiting for others to finish) and I noticed they were whirling string around with a keychain ring on the end.  They were trying a number of different moves with it and I pointed out that there is a fun activity with string and a large button in the middle and you get it spinning back and forth.  They did not seem to know what I was talking about.  I made a couple to show them and also for the kids at church.  Nobody under the age of 35 seems to know anything about these games whirlygigs.  I am going to make some more and keep investigating.  It also seems like this could be a good gateway activity to get them spinning tops.

Has anyone else encountered any of this same spinning ignorance?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: Whirlygigs and other spinning things
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:57:31 PM »

Many of the people from the general public who encounter us spinning tops at our juggling club are completely unaware that such things exist.  They routinely ask us what the tops are, and show no signs they've ever seen one before.

As hard as I find that to believe, it continues to happen, time and again....

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:26:23 AM »

Many of the people from the general public who encounter us spinning tops at our juggling club are completely unaware that such things exist.  They routinely ask us what the tops are, and show no signs they've ever seen one before.

I see the same phenomenon when I display my tops at LEGO shows. But I find it quite age-dependent.

Visitors in the over-60 set know all about tops, are delighted to come across my finger tops, and have no trouble twirling the ones I put out for the public to try. For them, it's like coming across long-lost friends. But on average, knowledge of and ability to twirl tops seem to decay rapidly as age decreases from there.

Many kids under 10 have no idea what a top is but are delighted to discover them. The parents, meanwhile, often have their noses buried in their cell phones and couldn't care less.

Same goes for the other LEGO spintoys I put on display.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:31:51 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 03:29:30 AM »

...I pointed out that there is a fun activity with string and a large button in the middle and you get it spinning back and forth.  They did not seem to know what I was talking about.

In his book on tops, I think D.H. Gould calls those gizmos "buzzers" -- or something like that. He cites a long history across many cultures.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:34:08 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »

We discussed before a modern version with LEDs:  Fyrflyz. It is still available.