iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: tip down boomerang with Saturno tops??  (Read 4996 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
tip down boomerang with Saturno tops??
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »

This young player from Mexico has a set of the new Saturno tops (including the aluminum one) and throws boomerangs with the tip down while Gerardo demonstrates them with the tip up as usual.  Gerardo's string wraps 18-19 times but I estimate that the kid's string is just 14-15 wraps (any other estimates?? as it is hard for me to stop at a good video frame to make a count).  Do the string lengths vary that much or is it popular to cut the string to throw tip down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJTYTZ8LeGw&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8m8PCe_TE0&feature=channel

Jeromy K.

Re: tip down boomerang with Saturno tops??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37:03 PM »

I love seeing kids throw tops. My only question is where can I get a few of those.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:38:51 PM »

Devan is the same kid who was on the other video we discussed recently (I am not sure if the lyrics are a big improvement  ::) ) From the Saturno forum: he received the tops for free with the condition that he made a video with them and he did within a couple of days of receiving them! (I still have to record one with my package  :-[ ) On this one he shortened a couple of the names: wirewalker is just "cruzando la frontera" and racetrack is just "circuito". By the way, on the newspaper article about Palma "teibolera" is spelled "taibolera." And suicide in Spanish should be spelled "suicidio."

I don't think Devan is really throwing tip down. He holds the top like that to show the name Saturno, but his thumb is towards the tip and the other fingers towards the crown. I think he is rotating his wrist just before throwing so it is closer to a tip-up throw. In general, you need a longer string to throw tip down, not a shorter one.

Gerardo seems to like highbrow names for his tricks: his wire-walker is "funambulista" = funambulist.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:46:06 AM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:56:58 PM »

I don't think Devan is really throwing tip down. He holds the top like that to show the name Saturno, but his thumb is towards the tip and the other fingers towards the crown. I think he is rotating his wrist just before throwing so it is closer to a tip-up throw. In general, you need a longer string to throw tip down, not a shorter one.

I realized that he was showcasing the Saturno tops and thus had an unconventional hold on the top and that he's got a lot of wrist action for showmanship and could be rotating to a tip up throw, but something still looks different.  After some converting I snatched a couple low quality stills from Devan's video above and although the pictures are quite bad, I think the orange and black top shows that just after release the white string is below the body of the top--thus a tip down throw with no flip of the top for a tip down catch.  I still would believe I'm wrong, but if this is the case its pretty cool.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »

I agree.....he is hard to follow.  I have been looking at this a lot lately and trying to understand it.  John's stills seem to point to what we have been saying from the start.  I think he is throwing with the pont down!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:37:13 PM »

Yes, John, you are absolutely right. I looked at it frame by frame and there is no doubt. But what really closed the case was trying it with one of my Saturnos (and also the Throwback): if you throw it close to your body, and across the body, tip-down works surprisingly well!  :o   I used the same string length that I use for a normal tip-up throw.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:00:46 PM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »

But what really closed the case was trying it with one of my Saturnos (and also the Throwback): if you throw it close to your body, and across the body, tip-down works surprisingly well!  :o   I used the same string length that for a normal tip-up throw.
Thanks Ta0 for the experimental proof.  I tried it myself with a Ripcord but after a couple horizontal returns and an off the concrete ceiling snag I went back to the safety of Devan's video for evidence.  Perhaps your Saturno video could include both tip-up and tip-down boomerangs with a better camera angle.  I wonder if this throw is traditional from Mexican wooden top play.  Since it seems new to many of us, perhaps Devan should name it so we have a distinction.