iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Toys R Us going out of business sales  (Read 433 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Toys R Us going out of business sales
« on: April 14, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »

I have been hearing a lot about the BIG and GIANT sales at Toys R Us.  There have been a number of advertisements in our area and we have had a lot of people holding "SALE" signs on the corners.  Finally, yesterday, I had a few minutes to stop at our local store.

Personally, I am used to bigger sales than this.  It was advertised that sales were up to 30% but there weren't that many things that were 30% off.  Yes, everything in the store appears to be on sale but I only saw 10% savings on most of the items.  I wondered what would be the story when I got to Legos (since they are usually not a part of sales in our area) and they were also on sale but only 5%!!!  I looked and looked for tops and skill toys.  I finally found a rack near one of the seldom used registers and there were some 10% off yoyos and kendamas but that was about it.  I did not see a top anywhere in the store.  Of course, some could have been made from Lego items, but it would have only been 5% off. 

It did not feel like a very fun trip.  I don't think I will be going back.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

Jeremy McCreary

• Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
Re: Toys R Us going out of business sales
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 11:51:08 PM »

I heard a rumor that The LEGO Group (TLG) was going to buy back a lot of the Toys R Us inventory. The mere thought of deeply discounted LEGO sets gives TLG nightmares.
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

trav1121

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:02:44 AM »

I heard a rumor that The LEGO Group (TLG) was going to buy back a lot of the Toys R Us inventory. The mere thought of deeply discounted LEGO sets gives TLG nightmares.
I wouldn't be surprised lol. As a lego collector I thought I'd be getting a great deal after seeing all of the "30% off" signs. You get in the store and the stuff is barely discounted. As far as lego goes, you can already get a lot of those sets on amazon for way cheaper than TRU's  "discounts". Not to mention down here in Bama, there are  discount stores called "Dirt Cheap" that buys old stock, customer returns, and liquidation items. Sometimes you get lucky and find a lego set, with just a beat up box for 50-70% off(the longer it sits on the shelf' the cheaper it gets. It's always best to check the parts though). I imagine Dirt cheap will potentially buy a lot of the leftover stock (well aside from lego if they are intending on buying it back).

Dick Stohr

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »

I asked in our local store and was told that they plan to close late summer , so the real discounts have have not started. June, July is when they will get serious about liquidation with the bigger discounts. Our store had a couple of free standing racks that had Duncan yo-yos and kendamas at 10% off. Then there was an endcap that was full of fidget spinners (who would have thought :-)).
Practice hard and play safe.

Jeremy McCreary

• Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »

As a lego collector...
Have you tried making your own LEGO tops?

trav1121

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:32:01 AM »

As a lego collector...
Have you tried making your own LEGO tops?
I haven't yet due to my lack of creativity haha. To be honest, I didn't start collecting lego until I became an adult so I'm not very keen on the different building techniques and what pieces to use etc. I mainly just buy the city sets for display(darn lego movie). I have however purchased one of the lego ninjago spin tops(the newer ones with the pull cord etc) because of the tricks I *thought* I could do with it( the advertising made the tricks look cooler than what they were lol).

Jeremy McCreary

• Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »

The best way to get started is to sit down with a pile of parts and try the ideas that present themselves.  Even the best builders rely heavily on guess-and-test + perseverance.

Addendum:  Forgot to add to that list faith in the system. Eventual success is generally a very good bet, but sometimes you have to find the right scale.

For some ideas on LEGO tops, see this recent post.
For a quick leg-up on how to make a very versatile class of LEGO tops, go here.
To buy individual parts, your best bet is BrickLink.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:53:01 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »

I've been there twice and not been impressed. These 30-50% off prices aren't for the "good stuff". Nerf is only 10% off currently(and Target has better prices even with the TRU discount), Lego a mere 5% off. I may go by today to get a couple of Freehands and upgrade one to a Pro(bearing swap). No tops, no spinners, and not much as far as yoyos are concerned.

Right now, I was hoping to get better pricing on the Nerf Rival Nemesis blasters(I need 5 of them) and the Nerf Elite Rhino-Fire. We have frequent Nerf battles.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089