iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA Annual General Assembly December 7th - 15th !!!

Author Topic: Cliff Hanger  (Read 4807 times)

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Cliff Hanger
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:33:52 AM »

Thanks for posting that ta0!

Next question: what is the trick cliff hanger?

Also, I can't get the "advanced compulsories" videos on your site to play?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Cliff Hanger
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:05:19 AM »

Yes, the flash player used for the compulsories became obsolete a couple of years ago :-[ But as we don't have compulsories anymore I never took the time to fix it. I will. Actually, what I should do are videos for the complete list of sport ladder tricks  :o

Cliff Hanger was created by Boyd Seth but it is not a trick I practice so I'll let somebody else describe it (Dick?)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:03:49 PM »

Cliff Hanger is closely related to Fred Hanger.  It is the cousin of Clothes Hanger and distant cousin of Plane Hangar, although his side of the family decided to start spelling their last name differently many years ago.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:52:20 PM »

;D

A picture is worth a thousand words:

I know somewhere there is also a picture of Dick doing this trick.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »

Ah, so it's sort of a bind in the hand, and you invert the top seeming to defy the laws of gravity.  Thanks ta0, and thanks for the genealogy of the trick, Mike.  :P

Looking at the photo I can't help but think an upside-down wire walker would be the coolest trick ever.

Jeromy K.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »

Dick did that trick for me at Nationals, it is a cool trick. I need to learn it.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 06:09:46 PM »

The trick is not hard until the end.  I will describe it right handed.

Start with a boom-a-rang to the right hand.  Bring the string around the right side of the tip.  Now throw a loop under the right arm so that the loop hangs over the right arm.  Grab the loop with the left hand (overhand, palm down) and turn the left hand palm up and put the loop on the left side of the tip and pinch the string with the thumb.  The string should now go from the button, through the fingers, around the right side of the tip, under the right hand, between you and the tip, then around the left side of the tip, over the hand and under the thumb.  Pulling the string tight will help the string stay around the tip as you roll the right hand palm down.  Do it slowly so that it does not rub on you hand and slow down.  After it is stabilized up side down you can give the string some slack, not much or the tip will fall out of the string.  Neither string wraps the tip, only about 270 degrees each.  Returning the top to right side up will take some patients because the precession will try to work against you.

Let me know if any of this is not clear.
Practice hard and play safe.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:28:46 PM »

What a great trick!  Thank you very much for taking the time to explain, Dick.  I ended up with a wrap a little different than you described, but I got the concept and it works.  This is Boyd Seth's trick?

jeffs

• ITSA
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 04:57:15 PM »

Here's a version from a few years back that I found in my collection. Dick is right that the most interesting part is getting it back right-side-up, although it can be done with a lot less drama than this clip would suggest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC6pWHPwVsk
Jeff Smith, Kalamazoo, MI

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:10:52 PM »

Clips from Highpointey Productions are always to the point  8)
And thanks again Jeff for sending a clip for the 3rd collective video (hint to the rest  ::) )

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »

Ha!  Just found this on Pulp's blog...

...trick you don't practice, eh?   :D

Jeromy K.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »

I am still trying to get this( I haven't been trying too hard) I cant get the top over with out it hitting my hand. I will keep trying, i love the trick. When Dick did it he made it look easy.  :P

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »

Getting the top to turn over in the first place was (and still kinda is) hard for me too.  The first success I had was to push the top to the left with my arm fully extended, and spinning on my feet 360+ degrees until it finally leaned over.  I don't have to do that anymore, but by comparison I find getting it back much easier - one big movement like in Jeff's video.  I find drumbeat easier than rollercoaster too, so I may be an alien.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 11:12:33 PM »

...trick you don't practice, eh?   :D

??? That photo must be doctored, I am innocent, I swear!
It does look like Cliff Hanger  . . .  I guess I do it . . .  in my dreams . . .

Pulp must have asked me to try it . . . I don't recall.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »

The name reminds me an old trick colt "El ahorcado", that, curiously, is the name of one of the cards of the Tarot.
ha! The wheel of fortune is the name of another trick of the top and the name of another card of the tarot.
Card, by tge way, is very similar to the word.."Cuerda"