iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: unusual tin tops  (Read 5613 times)

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
unusual tin tops
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:43:57 PM »

Has anyone seen tops like this?  How would you throw it, with the sting attached to the crown?

www.etsy.com/listing/579776697/

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:56:23 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: unusual tin tops
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:53 AM »

I'm not familiar with this particular top but yes, you would throw them with the string attached to the crown.
In the 1920's tops attached to swivels were called "girl's tops::)
Some Turkish tops that tourist buy have swivels like that. You can see Flavio throwing one on this thread: link.

I don't need four. Do you want to share the purchase?

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:00:09 AM »

I don't need four. Do you want to share the purchase?

I have ordered them, and would be happy to send you one or two for the price paid ($6 each), and whatever the postage would be.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 01:15:50 AM »

PM sent. Thanks!

They should whistle.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 04:07:18 PM »

Wonderful little tops, Renee! Love the shape, colors, and finishes. And if they whistle, so much the better.

Q1: Can they be started with just a twirl of the fingers?
Q2: How thick are the stems in millimeters? (If not workable as finger tops, perhaps I could adapt one my many LEGO top starters.)

I'd like to buy one from you if the answers allow.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:10:13 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »

Jeremy, the tops we're only shipped today, so I do not have them in hand just yet. As soon as they arrive, I will try to answer your questions. I do hope they whistle!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 05:28:56 PM »

Jeremy, the tops we're only shipped today, so I do not have them in hand just yet. As soon as they arrive, I will try to answer your questions. I do hope they whistle!

Thanks, Renee. Hope it works out.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 03:12:26 PM »

All of the tin tops have been requested.  One each to taO, Jeremy McCreary (provided they can be started with a twirl of the fingers), and Larry D. 

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 02:58:23 AM »

All of the tin tops have been requested.  One each to taO, Jeremy McCreary (provided they can be started with a twirl of the fingers), and Larry D.

I also want one if I can adapt one of my starters to the stem -- hence the question about diameter.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »

I also want one if I can adapt one of my starters to the stem -- hence the question about diameter.

The spindle running through the top is a 10 penny nail.  The head is about 8mm wide.  I have not had any luck finger spinning them.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »

https://youtu.be/8ODXZ538upU

This is a video of the tin top spinning.  This wasn't my best throw, but it landed in the field of view of the camera.  I took the metal spinner off the crown and wound it like any other top.  It whistles/hums pretty well.  You'll notice the whistles fades, then after a pause, starts again a bit softer.  It also whistles stronger on a boomerang.  Took me a bit to build up the nerve to try a boomerang, since you're basically flinging a projectile with a ten penny nail attached. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:00:33 PM by Renee »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 11:40:08 AM »

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOAKq04AiKM8eszb0gWxJIbtBr43XY5S1lf2bY3

This is a video of the tin top spinning.  This wasn't my best throw, but it landed in the field of view of the camera.  I took the metal spinner off the crown and wound it like any other top.  It whistles/hums pretty well.  You'll notice the whistles fades, then after a pause, starts again a bit softer.  It also whistles stronger on a boomerang.  Took me a bit to build up the nerve to try a boomerang, since you're basically flinging a projectile with a ten penny nail attached.
I cannot see it, even after logging into google (what I prefer not to have to do).

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 11:48:43 AM »

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOAKq04AiKM8eszb0gWxJIbtBr43XY5S1lf2bY3

I cannot see it, even after logging into google (what I prefer not to have to do).

I'm having a hard time with the video posting.  Not sure what I am doing wrong. Does this work https://photos.app.goo.gl/ecigdT0FOhRNYcUb2

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 12:40:33 PM »

That worked for me (and I didn't have to sign in to Google).

Yes, good whistling and much longer spinning without the string attached.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 05:30:55 PM »

Does this work https://photos.app.goo.gl/ecigdT0FOhRNYcUb2

Yes! You've emboldened me to remove the stem loop from the tin top I got through you. (Thanks again!)

It whistles/hums pretty well.  You'll notice the whistles fades, then after a pause, starts again a bit softer.  It also whistles stronger on a boomerang.

I really like this tin top -- the colors, the silhouette and reflections, the spin-down choreography, and especially the rich sound portrait it paints over time: Hissing from various surfaces, a reappearing descending whistle from the side holes, percussion from the tip contact, and ringing of the metal in response. I've been getting into top sounds lately.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:44:24 PM by Jeremy McCreary »