iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nowhere and everywhere at the same time. William Forsythe.  (Read 635 times)

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
Nowhere and everywhere at the same time. William Forsythe.
« on: December 19, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »

Last Friday 8 of december, I was with my wife and daughter in the bed, around midnight. Both of them were sleeping and I was watching tv. It appeared a program about a choreographer from NY, his life and trayectory, and the main topic was his work "Nowhere and everywhere at the same time" Since the first second caught my attention 'cos in the first scene appeared alot of pendula. Pendulum has been to me, all of my life, a spinning top. Even I've got some pendula that I can play as if they were made like tops to play. I see in the documental how they dance in this work, and it would be marvelous that one of the dancers (the dancer would have to become too a spintop player first) after or during the dancing,  take one of those pendula-spintops and stars to play with it!!!!

I tried to find some, and this was the unique thing I found about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as1bQ6Xl_fg

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Nowhere and everywhere at the same time. William Forsythe.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »

Wow. Just, wow.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 12:44:59 PM »

Oh my gosh!!!  That looks so very interesting.  It reminds me of those fountains of water that come up at different times and the kids love to play in them.  I love walking in them and trying to avoid the spray.  I wish I could walk in those moving pendulums.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »

Occupying this space for even a few minutes would be an unforgettable experience!

The pendulum dynamics are interesting. Each pendulum has the same 3-4 degrees of freedom in its swing and presumably the same period when swinging quietly in a plane. Guessing also that swings don't interact -- at least, not directly at bob level. Yet, their degree of coordination is at times striking.

Gotta wonder how the swings are driven and controlled, and what it would take to stop all of them at once if you didn't want to wait for the swings to die out on their own.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:29:08 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO