iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SJR tops  (Read 10125 times)

MrYo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
Re: SJR tops
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 07:02:11 AM »

Wow your work is amazing, I really like your wooden tops, if they play half as their beauty, they are great.

Maurizio

ScottR

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »

Quote from: Sabaspin

[/quote
Are you cutting the tips on the lathe with regular hss tools? How do the tools hold up?
yes I am the tools hold up ok. I bet I could make at least 2 tips with out sharpening. I guess I’ve never tried to sit down and crank out a bunch of tips. You know I usually make one top and then one tip. All my tips though are roughly the same. With a 3/8” shaft by 1/2” long that’s just press fit
Great looking top!
Perhaps the tip a bit undersized, but very nice top.

Excellent routine! And there are some uncommon moves there!  :o  8)
What do you call the vertical bouncing in the triangle? It may qualify as a new trick.
Also, the lasso with both hands coming from the side has a distinct look. And the finish also looks original.
Well done!
Hey ta0 thanks man. The tips are pushing it as far as size. Any larger and I would make them a bit bigger for sure. As for some of the tricks the vertical bounce thing is the barrel bounce totw. The 2hand sideways whip thing is some thing I just started doing one day and the last trick is also a totw around the leg and back or something like that
Wow your work is amazing, I really like your wooden tops, if they play half as their beauty, they are great.

Maurizio
So the wood tops play pretty well with some balancing. There is nothing like spending a couple hours on making a top that spins smooth as glass right off the lathe. And I don’t get that from working with wood. At least not yet. So it’s a bit frustrating. But still super fun

ScottR

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »

Just a random thought I have had a couple times. Wouldn’t it be pretty RAD to have a wood Giulia or STB sitting on the shelf or spinning on a string. Just thought.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 07:07:05 PM »

Just a random thought I have had a couple times. Wouldn’t it be pretty RAD to have a wood Giulia or STB sitting on the shelf or spinning on a string. Just thought.

How do you say wood in Italian? Answer: legno
Thanks to Eric:

Giulia di legno
Guilia di Legno Tre, Quattro e Cinque
Giulia di legno sette, otto, nove, dieci ed undici

Rad, indeed!  Ask Neff! ;)

And they play as well as the originals!  :o  8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:46:54 PM by ta0 »

ScottR

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »

How do you say wood in Italian? Answer: legno
Thanks to Eric:

Giulia di legno
Guilia di Legno Tre, Quattro e Cinque
Giulia di legno sette, otto, nove, dieci ed undici

Rad, indeed!  Ask Neff! ;)

And they play as well as the originals!  :o  8)
Man that is COOL! Black and white ebony? Looks similar to some black and white ebony from wood craft I had turned into a duck call barrel a few years ago. Now is that a true S8 made by S8?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:46:19 PM by ta0 »

ScottR

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 12:29:42 PM »

https://youtu.be/iFSuCEWHw3I So here is a string machine I made. It works really well. I had got the set up from a video on YouTube, making a rope making machine by the king of random. The string comes out pretty stiff and need some breaking in. Can’t wait to see how they break in and hold up. I would assume some one else on the forum has used this set up before. And if so what have your results been?

ScottR

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »

So I had looked before at jacks string thread, and got sick of looking at the same pic of cat over and over from deleted photos. So never got to far into it. Then I actually looked through it just now and saw some cool machinery on there. What I’m trying to say is that I stoped being lazy and answered my on question from my previous post

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »

String is tight since you pull to tight and overwind. They can end up like a lasso. I wasted lots of string figuring out how much tension I liked. This also has changed with time.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »

Man that is COOL! Black and white ebony? Looks similar to some black and white ebony from wood craft I had turned into a duck call barrel a few years ago. Now is that a true S8 made by S8?
The Giulia di Legno, including the one Neff is staring at, were made by Eric Wolff. Follow the links I gave above.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:30:31 PM by ta0 »

ScottR

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »

so here is a top that I had to reshape  to cut weight. Also I picked up a spiraling chisel today and gave it a quick try. The top is 4” diameter and weighs 241g

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »

241 Grams = 8.50102483 Ounces. Nice looking top and good weight. I would like to see this top in action. Thanks for sharing.

ScottR

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 12:10:16 AM »

241 Grams = 8.50102483 Ounces. Nice looking top and good weight. I would like to see this top in action. Thanks for sharing.
https://youtu.be/Vz7i8nJcQS8

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 01:09:33 AM »

Fantastic I love big tops. Myself I like long lines 4 3/4 Trompos and I try to copy the Colombians. Thanks for sharing. I like the Apache look on the top.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »

Great skills. Nice look on the top.

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 11:24:14 AM »

Also here is the one made by Pierre the lather present at Marine's festival, it is owned by Emmanuel now:
Composed of ebony and mother-of-pearl:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:31:33 AM by ta0 »