iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Progress log from paxl and randoms questions  (Read 94386 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Re: Progress log from paxl and randoms questions
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2019, 11:07:23 PM »

Thanks for the the answer! So I'm just too greedy!  8) I will try to get the sun down perfectly before trying to land wheels of fortune! I'm getting better at it to be fair!!!

Thanks for the answer!!!
Spinning is life!!!!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2019, 08:13:54 AM »

Yep, there definively something up about my quantity of the wraps around my tip... will figure this one out in due time. Now I'd need to take a spinning pause. my right index finger isn't happy ( string burn :( )

The tricks I do tho is fun to chain in between obits and such :)
Cheers

I was looking at this vid.. so these are suns.. meaning that what I'm able to do is a 'suns'... I just need to clean it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOrSBhXl3WA

The thing that still elude me is this post via ta0

My toque is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my toque clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My toque and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.[/size][/i][/b]

hear this  ;D
what the difference between a moose and an Allen wrench ?
reflect
breath
lower your shoulders
look up
stretch
feeling better
answer the devinette
get solar cream(for suns) ;) ;)

???

Now that this thread has gone south I can disclose the theory of the Wheel of Fortune and only those really interested will get initiated into its secret.  >:D

To make it easier to describe, imagine a clock face in front of you, 12 on top, 6 at the bottom, 3 to the right (description will be for right-handed players.)
You start by catching the top either trapeze or roller coaster and letting the string wrap on the tip until it points await from you, 1 or 1 1/2 wraps, respectively.

For most of the "circle" (e.g., 8 to 4) the top remains with the tip pointing away from you, without precessing. At the bottom part it precess one turn untwisting the wrap given by the sun and getting ready for the next repetition. For the top not to precess you cannot pull on it. So the top actually describes a (ballistic) parabola on the upper part. Your hands are just following on the opposite side of the apparent circle (they are not at the center of the circle). In fact, you can do non-continuous suns (bastones) by doing just this, waiting at the bottom for the top to precess while feeding the string to prepare for the next pull. I did this for a long time.

To be able to do them continuously you need to start pulling before it reaches the bottom, around 4 o'clock, so it has time to precess (the top cannot be spinning too fast or it won't precess enough anyway). But to be able to do this you need to feed the string between 8 and 4 to be ready for the pull.

So it goes like this: You pull up with your right hand until about 8 or 9. You then just follow the top with minimum pull (the wrap around the tip will be very loose. At the same time you take string with your left hand while feeding with your right hand. At around 4 you start to pull again with your right hand until 8 and repeat.

With practice all these movements become very subtle. The pull between 4 and 6 is actually done by gravity against you hand. The take and feed on the upper section can be achieved by a slight sidewise adjustment of the hand positions. When you get it right it feels like you are just having the top go in circle with no effort.

The key of learning the trick is to involve the left hand. Start to pull with your left after it gets airborne. Exaggerate the movement with your left hand at the beginning. Do this and you will learn it much faster than I did.

The parts that I don't grasp yet is : "You start by catching the top either trapeze or roller coaster and letting the string wrap on the tip until it points await from you, 1 or 1 1/2 wraps, respectively." I think this is the part where suns and wheels of fortunes are different. b/c when I start my sun, I have zero wrap ( as it's straight after a sewing machine ) then when I get back down I have to wait for the top to precess 2 times... Meh more work when my fingers than take it :)

Cheers y'alls!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:41:54 AM by paxl13 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2019, 10:55:00 AM »

The parts that I don't grasp yet is : "You start by catching the top either trapeze or roller coaster and letting the string wrap on the tip until it points await from you, 1 or 1 1/2 wraps, respectively." I think this is the part where suns and wheels of fortunes are different. b/c when I start my sun, I have zero wrap ( as it's straight after a sewing machine ) then when I get back down I have to wait for the top to precess 2 times... Meh more work when my fingers than take it :)
Actually, I should correct that as you can also do the wheel of fortune directly out of the sewing machine catch, with no wrap (well, 1/2 wrap) around the tip. It's just a little more difficult to keep the top on the string.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »

The exercise of using a dead top on a string to see what happens when you do the motion is interesting...

0.5 warp => bottom ( 0.5 ) => suns add 1 ( 1.5 ) => precession 1 turn ( 0.5 ) => Back at it.
1.5 wrap => bottom ( 1.5 ) => suns remove 1 ( 0.5 )  => precession 1 turn ( 1.5 ) => back it...

I'll play more with the top when I have time, I still think something is not right with these math but to be seen :P

Cheers

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2019, 04:15:59 PM »

Don't understand why your suns add one then... remove one???

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2019, 08:01:59 AM »

I'm not sure either... I have this feeling my calculation is wrong :) just a slight feeling :) So as to Suns, I'm progressing.. I was able to do this repeater 8x last night

Sewing Machine Catch -> Sun -> Pop up -> Sewing Machine ( 8x )

And I'm starting to try to understand what are the implication of the string while the top is flying...

We will see where that goes :)
Cheers
paxl

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »

https://youtu.be/3kjFxPStSUo

New trick, Boomerang to onehand lasso I guess ( no idea of the real name ) :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2019, 01:59:19 PM »

The half orbits look pretty good. Are you using a one-way bearing?

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »

The half orbits look pretty good. Are you using a one-way bearing?

Thanks, not at the moment, I've reconverted my Giulia to full bearing. I enjoy it more that way I think. Before I converted it back, I wasn't able to pull half orbits on the OWB, top was flying off the string, but my form was not as good as it is now.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #234 on: March 09, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2019, 06:04:35 PM »

https://youtu.be/3kjFxPStSUo

New trick, Boomerang to onehand lasso I guess ( no idea of the real name ) :)

Indeed! Very nice catch!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2019, 03:14:31 PM »

Big big water leak in the basement but will not stop me from spinning :)

https://youtu.be/TBdUdgwUvNk

Not a bad freestyle, sadly one drop but I kept it b/c I felt it was interesting to look at! I need to focus a bit more on other than regenrative tricks :)
I am also able to do "A la una" ( boomerang to nail spin ) but I felt in this case, a snap start was more fun :)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2019, 08:10:33 AM »

Hey y'alls,

Bit of a while since I've posted, my house is in major renovation b/c of a water leak :( On the top side tho. I am now able to consecutive drumrolls and barrel rolls =) I also can do semi-consecutive suns ( which means waiting at the bottom but I do finally understand how to make a sun off a top in a trapeze! ). I also rediscovered my love for my OWB Giulia.. this thing is amazing!

Life is all good,
Keep spinnin' y'alls!
paxl

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »

First outdoor spin of 2019!!!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2019, 05:31:34 AM »

Tryed to shoot a freestyle yesterday b/c I'll probably not spinning for the next month :( My house will be under heavy renovation and I will not be living here. The rented house have way too much nice flooring and would mark at the first drop sadly :(

I'll work on my 2a yoyo'ing and I might try to take up juggling ( I've always wanted to be able to juggle with 3 balls but never took the time to learn it... ) Might be a good idea.

Anyhow
Cheers y'alls and keep spinning :)
paxl

EDIT: One last thing, Last night I play a whole lot my 3 incher. And I did a lot of high trapeze ( the floor was forgiving ) and at some point the tip of the top was hot! It's the first real time I can say I got a tip that way =) It felt extra good =) I love so much top spinning!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:45:41 AM by paxl13 »