iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Progress log from paxl and randoms questions  (Read 22866 times)

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
Re: Progress log from paxl and randoms questions
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »

so, new day, new trick chain :

With the hornet : Boomerang -> Lasso -> Airborne -> Rollercoaster catch -> RC to string for a while -> wirewalker :)

I have to learn to do sewing machines ( not too bad ) and drumbeats ( still incapable to to the pop up properly... ) The other thing I want to learn is how ppl do the dropdown into trapeze from hand. I've seen it on multiple video that uses regens, you do a trick then you dropdown into trapeze and then joker choker to get the top back to trick speed!

Cheers y'alls,
paxl
Spinning is life!!!!

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »

I bought some coloured electrical tape today!!!

The bad news is that all the color except black has a lightly sticky feeling to it!  :'(
Anyway, I don't think there is much I can do another it! It's not life changing but less fun!

All my a lot used top will stay in black I guess!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »

I bought some coloured electrical tape today!!!

The bad news is that all the color except black has a lightly sticky feeling to it!  :'(
Anyway, I don't think there is much I can do another it! It's not life changing but less fun!

All my a lot used top will stay in black I guess!

Use some Windex on a paper towel or some mineral spirits to wipe away the excess adhesive residue. This works for me at least. Don't use acetone on plastics to be safe. I've done it and it works fine for me.

Edit: To Clarify, I've used Windex and Mineral Spirits and it has worked fine for removing adhesives. I will not use acetone on plastic tops or yoyos. I will use acetone for cleaning bearings.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:59:56 PM by studio42 »
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2018, 08:04:29 PM »

Good trick, I'll try that out as soon as I have some top time!!!

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2018, 08:12:35 AM »

Well. I think I really can regen now... I just did =>

Boomerang -> Lasso -> Merry go round (2x) -> RC -> String (15x) and then miss but the top was still spinning quite strong on the ground :)

The Spintastic HP Hornet top to learn regen is a fantastic top. Quite a bit faster than the Grande BUT it doesn't resist leaning like the grande which makes
the pop up of the RC easier to not be PERFECTLY straight ( which IMO is the harder catch to do b/c you have to make that top lean!!! )

Anyway... So long, Tops are amazing :)
Paxl

ps: Had some fun with my QSH bearing, Upside down you can make it spin on the button using the square hole in the cap :) lots of fun, I have to find a way to do a UD lasso tho...

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »

I had fun playing with my short-circuit top today but I realized that a polycarbonate top vs a concrete floor while practicing regens end up with a top with no tip! I'll have some fun with super glue later on!

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »

So I just received my fixed QSH with a brass C-tip... Wow. I can understand now the hype about that top. From basically a almost stop I was able to regen it to trick speed in a couple of RC to string. I also fells very air'ey as compared to my hornet... The thing tho is that it is as unbalenced as the hornet was. When I'll ahve time I'll get the tape out and the putty and balence it out.

Cheers,
paxl

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »

Best RC to string: 33 with the hornet and a soft and supple short string.

Best RC to string with the QSH and a long string ( 72 inch ): roughly 10-20...

=)

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2018, 09:19:30 PM »

New update in the long and painful rambling of paxl!!! 😃

I am amazed how fast I am processing! Today I was able to pull out a more than 30 second freestyle!!!

Boomerang to Lasso to a corkscrew (3x) to roller-coaster to string to wire walker and then I sadly lost too much spin! But I am very happy! I started to toy with half orbits without any success but I think it will come in its own time!

Cheers!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2018, 10:13:30 PM »

Good work, paxl3.  Happy to hear of your great progress!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »

Hey y'all,

New update, I've been messing around quite a bit lately with fixed tips. Most of my play time was on my QSH but I did retry the Grande with the mexican C tip. The difference between the New Brass C tip and the Mexican C Tip is insane. The Brass one, the spin decay is like 2-3x the one of the Mexican one. It's funny when you've been playing exclusively with Metal top and go to the Grande, my original one is well balenced. but it feels so floatey... it's fun how different they are. 

Catching the top on the string is now hardwired in my brain. I usually am able to catch in almost any condition in RC / Sewing machine. I start to understand drumbeats but I don't exclusively practice them. I'll throw one or two when I regent but prefer a lot RC / SW.

I love how you can pass from Merry Go Round to RC to SW to MGR quite easily :)

Anyway so long, Keep spinning!
paxl13

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »

Hey y'all, haven't stopped throwing, but I did get WAY WAY WAY better at regens. It's mostly all I do now =) So much fun. I have a question tho.

When I'm regenning, I always seem to ossillate between RC & SW. How to control from one to another. I'm searching how I can from a RC get into a trapeze
to start barrel rolls for example but I can't seem to figure it out. And viceversa, but it's less useful...

I also have to start practicing orbits, but I'm a bit more scared to to them inside as the top usually finished flying everywhere :) I'll work on them soonly when the snow
clear out of my lawn!

Thanks for the info,
paxl

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2018, 08:46:42 AM »

I made this video back before I lost weight :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_gQ_qCfsxU
While it is not exactly what you are asking, it shows how to control the angle of the top on the string.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:34:09 PM by Kirk »

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »

Thanks Kirk, I already had seen that vid. it's the one that finally got me to understand how to change the orientation of the top :)

I'll continue working on this. I just got a new trick quite down. basically it's rollercoaster to string and then you just start wirewalking then the top is at the right place on the string... I think that's called Magnetic Wire (?!), not sure.

I still have trouble with Super8 and are nowhere ready to do orbits. My record for RC to string was 97 yesterday. I also started playing with longstrings ( atleast for me... 72 inch ) without any button. Button less is fun... give more mobility I feel...

Anyway,
Cheers,
Paxl

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »

Small update!

I am FINALLY ABLE TO REGEN through Dumbeats!!!! =) Was able to do 10 in a row ealier on today. While the QSH is a good top, I feel like the Hornet is an easier top to learn to do some regen trick on!!!

Now time to learn to chain them!!!
Cheers,
paxl

ps: orbits are still in a foreign land... I'm able to blizzard easily... orbits... I'll do 2-3 then die there... I don't regen as much but I'm not really working on them per-say