iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2017 Total Eclipse : spintop meeting?  (Read 11159 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: 2017 Total Eclipse : spintop meeting?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 04:27:22 PM »

Sounds cool, lincolnrick!  The Saltdogs got robbed and did not receive any national press like that Oregon team.  Glad you had a good time!

In the paper today is a report that President Trump looked up at the eclipse......without glasses!  Interesting!!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:32:30 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »

very happy to report that my father and i were able to catch the 70% eclipse visable here in toronto. weather was perfect and i took a pair of binoculars and projected the event onto the ground. my dad had laser eye surgery a few months ago on both eyes, he couldnt even see your face when he was talking to you before so it was nice that he was able to actually see this eh. all n all a smashing success here in toronto  ;D

Russpin

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »

Took some photos of the eclipse thru my telescope. Here in Tucson we had about 60 percent max blockage.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 06:44:49 PM »

Took some photos of the eclipse thru my telescope.

Nice sequence! We had only 92% coverage, but I still enjoyed watching the moon fly by in a way not usually possible.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:59:55 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 11:38:50 PM »

That was a great choice, Rick! That game was super special and should be unforgettable! Mark was also in Lincoln? We ate in the Haymarket zone on Sunday night.

Great photo sequence Ruspin!  The sunspots are clear.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »

That was a great choice, Rick! That game was super special and should be unforgettable! Mark was also in Lincoln? We ate in the Haymarket zone on Sunday night.

Wow. Sunday evening, Mark and me and the rest of the Lincoln juggling club were recruiting students to join the UNL circus arts club at a huge street party just blocks from the Haymarket. We make juggling balls out of rice/popcorn and multiple balloon coverings, then take them down to the event and pass them out to students who look like they want to learn. Sorry again for not contacting you, what a missed connection.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2017, 12:55:38 PM »

Sorry again for not contacting you, what a missed connection.

It's my fault, Rick. I forgot to ask you for your phone number before leaving.

I arrived yesterday night, close to midnight, after driving almost 1900 miles (3000 km) (wife did drive some). I'll post photos from this and the other visits from these crazy August trips when I can.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 04:26:09 PM »

I tried to get a spintop photo of the eclipse but it was difficult. You can see the top and the sun about an hour before totality, but the solar filter reflected too much of the surroundings:

After totality I threw Figaro. You can see the amateur astronomers camped behind:

I attempted to photograph the crescent suns that you can sometimes see in the shadow of a tree. I put a white cardboard on the grass but the result for the tree I chose was not great:

The four of us:

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 04:33:52 PM »

The eclipse T-shirt sold by a local store didn't have my favorite design, but it was the one I found there:

I took that photo at the Museum of Osteology in Oklahoma City on our way back. I really recommend this bone museum.

By the way, very close to where we saw the eclipse is Lee's Legendary Marbles, a little quirky museum that bills itself as having the largest collection of marbles in the world (in addition to an antiques/junk shop.) Marbles and tops used to go hand in hand, so I asked if they had any tops. After a little haggling with the owner/collector, I got two pegtops with nice battle marks, a whip top, an early medium size Gibbs top with a very pointy tip and two pairs of Bandai Spin Fighters in their package from 1993. I was a happy camper.  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:41:06 PM by ta0 »