iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: String accelerator  (Read 2404 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
String accelerator
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »

Since strings receive a great deal of attention here, I thought this might be of interest...

Particle accelerators are designed to accelerate, well, particles. But if string theory is true, and elementary particles really are just tiny vibrating strings in disguise, then why not just accelerate strings in the first place?

Introducing the "Stringatron" -- the world's first LEGO accelerator just for strings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTRJLh_AGPk

Here's a preview of my upcoming press conference: So far, ladies and gentlemen, the Stringatron has produced no compelling evidence for or against string theory. Contrary to widespread belief, however, it's proven conclusively that you really can push string!

As you may know, some versions of string theory envision the strings as closed "loops", while others allow for open-ended "strands" in certain situations. That's why I designed the Stringatron to accelerate both kinds.

In this video, the Stringatron starts with strands of white paracord (3.0 mm OD) and lighter yellow twine (1.5 mm OD) ranging from 0.32 to 2.64 m in length. It ends with a knotted loop of the twine 1.54 m in circumference.

See the video description for details.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:37:50 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: String accelerator
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:01:40 AM »

FUN!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 04:08:09 AM »

I love it!  8)

Do you realize that it could be used to keep a fixed axle yoyo spinning? And if you keep turning it to keep up with precession it could be used to regenerate a top!  :o  >:D

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:31:19 PM »

Do you realize that it could be used to keep a fixed axle yoyo spinning? And if you keep turning it to keep up with precession it could be used to regenerate a top!  :o  >:D

The Stringatron could spin a fixed-axle yoyo right now if I had the right string loop with no knots, lumps, or stiff segments. Any ideas on how to make such a loop? So far, no luck with melting.

I've been having fun exploring the behavior of a twine loop 1.54 m in circumference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuI6WRe31Po

The knot sends small waves through the loop every time it passes through the pinch rollers but doesn't seem to disturb the dynamics too badly.

Details on blog page.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »

Would it be possible to splice the ends of the cord together, rather than knot them?  I would expect a splice to be smoother than a knot....

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »

Would it be possible to splice the ends of the cord together, rather than knot them?  I would expect a splice to be smoother than a knot....
Perhaps, but I don't know how to do that with such small strings (1.5 mm twine and 3.0 mm paracord).

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »

This reminds me of a toy I had years and years ago. It was a small plastic pipe with a loop string through the bowl so that when I blew in the stem the air forced the string to go up as long as I could blow.
Practice hard and play safe.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:25:32 PM »

Accelerating a loop...

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com