iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Would you go to the 2018 worlds if they were in Shangai (with yo-yo)

Very likely
- 0 (0%)
50/50
- 0 (0%)
Will try, but unlikely
- 0 (0%)
Won't be able to go
- 4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Worlds 2018 proposal  (Read 331 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Worlds 2018 proposal
« on: July 22, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »

ITSA has received an official invitation, signed by the governor of the state of Cundinamarca (which includes Bogotá), Colombia, to have the 2018 world spintop contest in Colombia. It would take place together with a world festival of traditional games.
This is a very interesting proposal, because of the number of local players (hundreds) that would enter and also the support of the government with the logistics and expenses of the event.
I guess the decision is between this proposal and going to Shanghai, China, with the yo-yo contest. Or perhaps it could be divided between a modern spintop contest in China and a traditional trompo contest in Colombia.
In Iceland we will talk with the Chinese and Japanese to see what we could expect for tops in Shanghai. In October, Val, Dale and I will be judging the finals of a regional Trompo contest in Cundinamarca and we will be able to assess the infrastructure and their organizational skills so we will get a very good idea of what we could expect for a world contest.

I want to point out that this proposal could not have taken place if we had not formed ITSA.  :)

Mermouy

• New spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • YouM, artiste de rue.
Re: Worlds 2018 proposal
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 01:46:47 PM »

Time of recognition as come!!
Congrats!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:08:51 PM »

Hmmm.  Veeeeeeerrrrrrry interesting!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 01:18:15 AM »

The ITSA and the IYYL are important organizations. We want this "sport" to be seen at least as something "legit". Having a centralized "governing body" really helps other organizations take this stuff as "serious".

I think breaking off spintops on their own wouldn't work well. Piggybacking onto yoyo has had acceptable results but nothing great. I think you'll get similar results at the very least by riding on this festival of traditional games. I'd say it's worth checking out.

As for my own opinion, since I'm on both sides, yoyo and spintops, I'd personally prefer to see them both at one place. At the same time, I'd prefer to see things where they are most appreciated and accepted. I think this is quite an interesting thing to come up.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Dick Stohr

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »

Chris, keep in mind that until Greg held the World Yo-Yo contest in Orlando in was a part of IJA. It got to a point where the Yo-Yo community wanted more time/space/schedule than IJA could supply. Yo-Yo Worlds grew because it was its own event. The only question is when/how the spin top community can justify going as a separate event.
Practice hard and play safe.

jim in paris

• Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 12:57:45 AM »

hello fellow members

after Nats in Chico and the visit to Colombia by Jorge ,Val and Dale
the question raised by Dick :" The only question is when/how the spin top community can justify going as a separate event." needs debate

or  What are the conditions required if we decided to split from the WYYContest?

from the reports I have received after the visit to Colombia
there is a serious problem of location and organisation even if the attendance/the public and the number of players is huge
in Chico we have achieved the minimum which is far from enough (on the down side:nb players,facilities for gathering,battle,etc)

so far ,next World Contest in Shanghai is the best option for us to exist with/despite all the drawbacks(...//...)

do you think that there is still an alternative ?

-trailing/targeting another event (skate,bmx,juggling,toy fair,any large cultural event etc ..)?
-doing Worlds in another country ?

we will have to decide during the general assembly in december anyway

what do you think?

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »

Thanks Jim for starting this discussion. After visiting Colombia, I am still processing what are the options for worlds next year.

From the organizational point of view going to China is the easiest. Also it would be the fairest for the Asian players who might want to compete, IF ANY!
My biggest fear is that we won't have enough competitors. Half of the people who last year said they were coming to Iceland, did not come.

Colombia has the big advantage of a guaranteed high number of local players. There will likely be government support. However, the town we were shown (Girardot) wouldn't work, as it's a couple of hours by land from the closest international airport and its tourist interest is local (camping, extreme sports) but not an international tourist destination. We also saw some problems with organization. There are other proposals, but I don't know if we would have time to vetted them. Perhaps Colombia makes more sense for 2019 when worlds would come to the Americas (Cleveland) anyway.

I am starting a poll to see who would come to China.

jmadrigal

« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:47:17 PM »

I personally think that we should stay with the World YoYo competition even the US National competition but that's another conversation. I will not be able to make China for multiple reasons out of my control. The yoyo community is where I come from and where I first developed an interest in tops. I think there is a lot of potential, if we planned a bit better an had some people consistently out there showing what tops can do, it can grow. I plan to go to the BAC next year and will hopefully be allowed to do a short routine to demonstrate tops.
I think that regional spintop competitions are what is needed to grow spintops in the US. There seems to be pockets of players across the country that might be able to make a more local contest. Is there a US top association? 

My personal goal is to get my son playing yoyo and perhaps spintop in the future. Yoyo offers more contests for kids his age and we can go compete together.

As far as 2019 I can definitely be in Cleveland for Spintops so I hope the venue wont change.