iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Greetings+questions about Japanese top.  (Read 4294 times)

trav1121

Greetings+questions about Japanese top.
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »

Finally decided to become a member after being a reader for years lol. Anyhow, I recently purchased this top from etsy through a seller based in Japan. I'm not exactly sure what kind of top it is or how to spin it for that matter; the listing referred to it as a "koma" top but it doesn't resemble the "komas" I've been familiar with. I've attached an image of what the top looks like, any help would be greatly appreciated.

photo upload internet

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Greetings+questions about Japanese top.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »

Welcome as an active member!

One of my Japanese koma books has it listed as Higo Koma. It seems that Higo is a somewhat generic name: it might translate as "fat rear" ;D  We already saw another type of higo koma: Komas from Yame. It might be from about the same region (the top besides it on the book is a sasebo koma).

It spins on the metal post. You need a relatively thick cord to wrap it but you should be able to throw it like a normal pegtop.

It is not a very common koma: good find!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:15:57 PM by ta0 »

fastvolks

• ITSA Jr.
  • Marck Kluender
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »

Welcome!!

trav1121

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 03:01:59 PM »

Welcome as an active member!

One of my Japanese koma books has it listed as Higo Koma. It seems that Higo is a somewhat generic name: it might translate as "fat rear" ;D  We already saw another type of higo koma: Komas from Yame. It might be from about the same region (the top besides it on the book is a sasebo koma).

It spins on the metal post. You need a relatively thick cord to wrap it but you should be able to throw it like a normal pegtop.

It is not a very common koma: good find!
Thanks. Yeah it came with a thick chord. I found quite a few of them on etsy.com for less than 20$ while searching for metal beigoma tops. There's still a few on there from the same seller if anyone is interested(just search japanese spin top or koma). I saw that one and had to buy it, vintage tops appeal to me a lot due to the history of the tops. It adds the mystery of who could have possibly had it and how long ago. Also, thanks for the welcome, glad to be an active member now. I've been reading this board since around 2009 when I taught myself how to throw a wooden top, it's been quite helpful in helping me learn.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 06:01:16 PM »

welcome home sir @-@

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »

Good to have you with us, trav1121!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, trav. I went to Itsy and got two different ones with some extra stuff on the crown but the same "tip".

The description of the book says that the top is from Kyushu, the southernmost big island of Japan.

PS: I used a free camera translation app on my phone to read the book and it worked surprisingly well recognizing the Japanese: Translator Photo & Text Scanner from MinorMob Studio.

trav1121

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 12:34:12 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, trav. I went to Itsy and got two different ones with some extra stuff on the crown but the same "tip".

The description of the book says that the top is from Kyushu, the southernmost big island of Japan.

PS: I used a free camera translation app on my phone to read the book and it worked surprisingly well recognizing the Japanese: Translator Photo & Text Scanner from MinorMob Studio.
No problem. There's a lot of spin top related things on etsy, it's kinda like a place for people who craft things themselves and sell antiques(at least that's what I assume) so there is a lot of hand made tops/other wood work. I've seen a few Mexican tops as well from searching trompo. Here's a video showing some people in Taiwan using similar koma to the ones on etsy(not sure if anyone on here has posted this):
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLYazynm_1M&t=61s

lincolnrick

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »

I'm such a fan of the 'Spintop Snipers'. I have three of these that I found on Ebay.

trav1121

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »

I'm such a fan of the 'Spintop Snipers'. I have three of these that I found on Ebay.
I added a few of those to my watch list. They look really cool and are really cheap considering how much larger tops usually cost.  Thanks for sharing!         
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:51:55 PM by ta0 »

mailman

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »

On the Spin top Snipers video, did anyone else notice the segment at about 0:48, in which the tops are th r own to land (and spin) on their crowns?  Very cool....

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »

These are the komas that I have coming:

The sticker on the first one says higo koma.
I cannot make out the first character on the sticker of the second one, but the rest would say by itself "book souvenir", so I assume it says something like cultural souvenir.

Here's a video showing some people in Taiwan using similar koma to the ones on etsy(not sure if anyone on here has posted this):
We have discussed that video on several threads. For example: Spintop videos by Kuma Films.
By the way, when I want to find if a youtube video has been posted before, I input on the forum search the youtube video id.

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »

I bought a couple of these tops on ebay. I modified the shape and put in a new tip. Now they are great fighters and trick as well.

trav1121

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »

Here's a video showing some people in Taiwan using similar koma to the ones on etsy(not sure if anyone on here has posted this):
We have discussed that video on several threads. For example: Spintop videos by Kuma Films.
By the way, when I want to find if a youtube video has been posted before, I input on the forum search the youtube video id.
I went for the more simple design on mine, but that first one with the top on the crown looks really nice. And thanks for the heads up on the video, I'll be sure to search next time.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 09:39:45 PM »

These are the komas that I have coming:

koma-ception @-@