iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Deadline to submit World Contest Videos is October 25th

Author Topic: Spintop Design  (Read 1210 times)

jmadrigal

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
Spintop Design
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »

As many of you know, I have been 3D printing tops for a while now. I have had some good results, but it takes time and effort to find a good shape and weight distribution that I like. I have been trying to use ratios (size) similar to existing tops that I know work, but that is not necessarily a sure thing. The materials that I use have different densities. My tips are different  and I distribute the weight differently. I also have to work within the printers capabilities. I guess what I am after is a good set of design rules. I am sure this has come up in the past. Can someone please point me to some design information?

What I know:
I know that the closer to the center the weight is, the faster it will spin.
I know that if the weight is located farther out from the center, it will spin longer.
I read somewhere that the width should be smaller than the distance from the tip to the widest part of the top.   

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Spintop Design
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:57:08 PM »

This thread may be of some use:

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,582.0.html

I think that an ideal proportion does exist but there are many variables as you know, so trial and error is what I rely on.

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:38:17 AM »

I think it's time to buy a wood lathe, and start getting really creative with all the different  woods. You will love it. There is nothing like a PURPLE HEART TROMPO.

jmadrigal

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »

Neff,
Thanks for pointing me to that thread. I has some good info.

Cecil,
I am sure I will go down that road at some point.