iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: K'Neffy string twister  (Read 23733 times)

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Re: K'Neffy string twister
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »

After moar experimenting last night. My 3 plys string have literally NO strech to them.. which is what I search in a top string b/c it's usually what make miss throws... or need to be carful at the throw.

How can I achieve that with the Neffys' ? So far I've had one great line and a couple of good ones but there is something I can't put my finger on...
I loop my string around my foot and give it some hard tugs to stretch it out before using it.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »

Yeah... these are not drop-your-drill-on-the-floor proof.  Or Cecil proof  >:D

I have to publicly thank you for your questions Paxl, it has inspired me to update the Manual much more than it once was, now including an assembly section in case you have to replace the shaft.  Have a look:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fWJfl8SsWnd8KazFRxAjFurNtetmylu6wTVcOzRdKQw

Regarding your "when to stop" question  - from the Manual:

"When to stop - Stop when you feel the rig firmly twisting against you or when you see the threads start to kink up.  When either of these happen, reverse the drill until you get a tight but stable condition, and then rewind."

I don't know how else to describe it.  I think Jack described his method similarly. You will get it with practice.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2019, 01:14:22 PM »

After moar experimenting last night. My 3 plys string have literally NO strech to them.. which is what I search in a top string b/c it's usually what make miss throws... or need to be carful at the throw.

How can I achieve that with the Neffys' ? So far I've had one great line and a couple of good ones but there is something I can't put my finger on...
I loop my string around my foot and give it some hard tugs to stretch it out before using it.

^^^ THIS!!!! ^^^ Thanks Jospin... I was pulling pretty hard on my old string during the rewind. which I don't so that I do'nt explode the gearbox :P ( I already did :P )
Spinning is life!!!!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2019, 09:39:57 AM »

I'm gonna add as reference here what I find works well ( well 'tis jospin that told me )

For a FAT string ( 4x3 ) a reduction percentage of 12% seem to give a nice strong but not too thigh string. So for example, you start with 100 inch worth of lenght, you stop twisting when you have gone forward for 12 inches. Resulting string will be around 70-72 inch.

Next step is, you tug pretty hard on both end of the string. This remove almost all the elasticity and to be able to maek some nice wirewalker I found that running the string though a hook and just pulling on it back and forth will remove the 'new' thighness that's detrimental to wirewalker...

Next step will be me trying to see if 12% is good too for STD string ( 4x2 )... I will post back my result here.

I don't like the current way in the manual b/c it ask you to go too far or almost, and what happen is that when it start to kinks up, there nothing really you can do without a second person to fix it.

I hope this is helpful to ppl.

I intend to start another thread for FAT vs STD when it comes to regenerative play but this is not the place!
Cheers

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »

Now I understand your question. Yes, for tightly twisted string you need to stretch it out first. No need to be tugging hard during the wind-up or the rewind.

The thicker the end product the shorter the wind-up will be. You will feel the gearbox twisting against you sooner, and you will see kinks sooner. I have never measured the distance traveled because it changes with different thread types and thicknesses, better to go by feel.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »

After I broke the main driver I put in a 1/4 delrin rod with wood screws. When I made my big driver with the big gears I used 1/4 tool steal for the main driver. Making good string takes practice. My new Tuolo tops are both doing double body cork screws. My new big string maker can make this big tight line. I wish some one would try one of these tops with the line and modifications I'm doing to see if we all can get a great top.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2019, 01:41:27 PM »

I have a stationary stand for the drill end, and a sled for the hook end.  We have a granite top kitchen cart that works really well for the sled to get a smooth slide, and also as a gauge of shrinkage. 

The stand holds the drill still and allows you to stop the drill and walk down the length of the string to check the twist or to untangle.  If you have the weight on the sled right, you shouldn't have too much trouble with tangling.  The more strands the more weight you need on the sled.
https://youtu.be/NDqwg4Vu9KE

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »

You guys are all so very very clever!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2019, 02:23:41 PM »

I have a stationary stand for the drill end, and a sled for the hook end.  We have a granite top kitchen cart that works really well for the sled to get a smooth slide, and also as a gauge of shrinkage. 
The stand holds the drill still and allows you to stop the drill and walk down the length of the string to check the twist or to untangle.  If you have the weight on the sled right, you shouldn't have too much trouble with tangling.  The more strands the more weight you need on the sled.
This is interesting thank you for sharing.  I am curious about your rewind process though, because as you rewind one end needs to pull away from the other and then back toward the other.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2019, 03:04:16 PM »

This is interesting thank you for sharing.  I am curious about your rewind process though, because as you rewind one end needs to pull away from the other and then back toward the other.

Before I start the rewind, I pull the sled back to stretch and tighten the strings, and to give the sled some room to travel for the additional shrinkage during the final twist.  It also helps to add some weight at this point to keep the strands tight while the rewind gets started.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2019, 03:04:42 PM »

ah ah ! Renée ! very cool accessory !
the video is great ! should be viral !
reminds me of JoeMauk  ;)
thanx

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2019, 06:28:19 PM »

I have to publicly thank you for your questions Paxl, it has inspired me to update the Manual much more than it once was, now including an assembly section in case you have to replace the shaft.  Have a look:

Wow I'm glad I read that, it would be a nice page to edit on spintricks!
If you allow me to copy paste this?
And I realize now while posting the link that this page is a neff' exclusive videos page!!!  :o
We have our spintop diy video master!  8)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 07:39:42 PM »

Wow I'm glad I read that, it would be a nice page to edit on spintricks!
If you allow me to copy paste this?
And I realize now while posting the link that this page is a neff' exclusive videos page!!!  :o
We have our spintop diy video master!  8)

Sure no problem. I would love to make more videos like that if I can find the time

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 10:49:09 PM »

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2019, 08:07:52 PM »

When the center rod breaks I replace it with 1/4 Delrin rod and wood screws. The big one I made I used tool steal. I really pull on the drill while winding - I like tight string.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up