iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Making string with 6 hooks and rectangle drivers  (Read 265 times)

cecil

• Hyperhero member

cecil

• Hyperhero member
Re: Making string with 6 hooks and rectangle drivers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »

jmadrigal

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:22:36 PM »

This should be it's own post. It will be hard for people to find this good information under the 4th July heading. That being said...

Cecil is correct I could not get the 6 hook line to work easily. I tried many different ways and designed tools to help guide the string but was still difficult.
What I found was that the string would come out with little bumps. This was caused because when you twist 6 strings, one wants to be a core. The core takes a shorter path so it gets loose when the rest are tight. This caused the core to jump in and out of the center. I found that if I walk the string and take up the slack on the core (someone else drives the drill), I could get a nice line. It came out nice and round and felt nice in the hand. This was involved and not worth it ,so I just stick to the 4 hook line. 
As far as the square vs the rectangle drive I would have to try this my self to see the diffrence.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »

This should be it's own post. It will be hard for people to find this good information under the 4th July heading.
Done!

Those are really interesting observations, Cecil.

I like Jose's explanation of why it's difficulty to make string with 6 hooks. I would imagine that with seven hooks it would be even more a of problem.
It will be interesting to see what happens with 8 hooks: perhaps the treads distribute more uniformly. I'm looking forward to the results of your experiment, Cecil!

When you make string with a rectangular driver: do you notice any difference between the threads in the final string? Do they form pairs?

cecil

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 04:29:11 AM »

Jose I can't post in a single mode why I don't know. And if you make a string on a square line driver you will love it. Tao you can't tell the difference in the lines. Only when you throw them. I keep lines some lines separate. For now I will wait on the six driver and concentrate on a eight driver. What's bad about the Knex driver is the long rods that drive the line. The wood and the plastic tear each other up. I need to go to delrin to delrin.

cecil

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:06:37 AM »

What more rope drivers?
https://youtu.be/Bc0PoWfPzmI

paxl13

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:03:23 AM »

Maybe a bit off topic but THANKs cecil.. you made me realise that the necksize is super important... I was always wondering why my QSH is super easy to regen while it can't wirewalk but it can corkscrew withotu accellerating throught it... On other hand, my 3d printed top ( using the YYF alu point ) is harder to regen but it wirewalk so so so fast...

That's interesting stuff, Thansk Cecil!!!
paxl

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »

Making your own string is hard core.  Making your own string with more and more strands moves you guys even farther up the hard core ladder.  Good work.  I am impressed!!!

This is more off-topic: I am always fascinated with these large animals and moving things with strings/ropes.  I dream that someday I will be able to do some of that on a smaller scale for a children's sermon.  My wife and I once went to a Lion's King show and it was shocking to see what people could do to look like big animals.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

cecil

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 03:49:12 PM »

I found this post on Gus's face book. And we all know Gus is the BEST TROMPO thrower in the WORLD. And so much FUN to be with.

cecil

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »

https://youtu.be/DSGENCsOS9w

Justin, my grandson is working on some new tricks. The climb from the foot to the hand is hard. It's Grandpa's favorite trick - and Grandpa make the tops.