iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Belated introduction  (Read 1152 times)

Beylon

• Facebook
Belated introduction
« on: January 01, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »

A sheepish hello again here. After a number of warm welcomes elsewhere on the forum, and appreciated tolerance of my noobishness, I felt I better introduce myself properly. I've been lurking for so long that I basically forgot nobody knows who I am.

So I'm the author of Formula Bei, a recently-restored but little-cared-for blog over on the World Beyblade Organization. I basically do essays on the history of beigoma, modern forms of the game and the thematic, historic and commercial links between old and new. So you can see how that might influence a lot of my work.

I used to design video games and was introduced to Beyblade through the Robot Combat scene, beigoma from there and, finally, this forum about 2010. I always got the feeling beigoma were a little beside the point of the trick-top community but now more Japanese artisans are reaching beyond their borders, I think it's probably true that the beigoma craft is becoming more widely understood. Plus, there's a kind of poetry in crafting something so beautiful, only to have it get smashed up in a fight - kind of sums up the times.

Based in Australia right now, so... Greetings from far away?

CUPER

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Re: Belated introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »

Bienvenido,amigo y gracias por compartir y ser parte ahora del mundo trompos que ya del giro ya eres

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:22:02 PM »

Yes, welcome!!!  It is always great to have an Australian with us
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:48:45 AM »

You have a serious background with blades so your new project has a good chance of being successful.
Great to have you as a contributing member of the forum.
Welcome!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:07:55 AM »

I thought Beyblades were not around much this year but then I went to another mall today and I saw a bunch of them and several with stadiums!

dazzlingdave

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »

Welcome!

I love the battle aspects of spin tops, so I will be keeping on eye on these.

Beylon

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 01:16:49 AM »

Hey, thanks guys! In every language, too!

@Earl: yeah, the new Beyblade series is called "Burst" and features a Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots style self-destruct switch inside each blade which makes the tops explode if they're hit hard/frequently enough. It's an ingenious mechanism originally design by Kenji Horikoshi (I believe) at Takra-Tomy and reworked for the Hasbro version to reduce wear to the internal mechanism. It's a cool game.

Trouble is, the new system might appeal to "new blood" but old Beyblade fans mostly seem to be a bit... Underwhelmed? The idea of an "artificial death" mechanism basically defies the point of a skill-based fighting game. The explosions aren't totally random but too much "chance" makes the outcome seem beyond the players' control anyway. So a lot of people still play the old "full metal" version, called "Metal Fusion" in the West - which you're probably familiar with. Of course, in that series, players often bemoaned the lack of meaningful customisation with such powerful components.

Hopefully I can offer a reasonable alternative for players (particularly older players) and collectors who desire a format derived from deep customisation and total modularity. Silver Shell is so detailed in that respect, it's more like a hobby than a stand-alone game.

Thanks again for the kind welcome guys!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »

I invested in the new Beyblade Burst, not so much because it was tops(well, yes, a bit), but mostly because I could keep my kids to stay put during swim meets. It quickly turned into a group event, with not only the cousins(who are also on the swim team) as well as other kids on the swim team. On the whole, I feel the skill factor is pretty much negated. Yeah, I'm sure there is some build strategy, but you're basically pull starting and then hoping for the best after that. Overall,  I'd say it's fun, but it doesn't keep me engaged, while the kids will play for hours at a time. I think I got a few arenas so that more than one battle can take place at once. We ended up "winning" the "Beyblade" competition because "I have more stuff". It was necessary, having to entertain my own 4 kids and 4 nieces and nephews(and growing).

The concept of a modular design is of interest. I know it's been done in yoyos, but the results have been poor. I think the number of areas where problems can crop up is part of the issue: too many parts. I think that tops would be easier and probably received better since the market isn't anywhere near as flooded with models. I'm going to check out the link. I think it will be very interesting.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Beylon

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 02:17:55 AM »

I invested in the new Beyblade Burst, not so much because it was tops(well, yes, a bit), but mostly because I could keep my kids to stay put during swim meets. It quickly turned into a group event, with not only the cousins(who are also on the swim team) as well as other kids on the swim team. On the whole, I feel the skill factor is pretty much negated. Yeah, I'm sure there is some build strategy, but you're basically pull starting and then hoping for the best after that. Overall,  I'd say it's fun, but it doesn't keep me engaged, while the kids will play for hours at a time. I think I got a few arenas so that more than one battle can take place at once. We ended up "winning" the "Beyblade" competition because "I have more stuff". It was necessary, having to entertain my own 4 kids and 4 nieces and nephews(and growing).

Very nice! I do know what you mean with the whole "buy to win" strategy though. Hopefully that's something a greater level of modularity will prevent. Worth noting that Silver Shell uses open-source compatible hardware, so you're not strictly required to use only Silver Shell parts in the game and the balance of play doesn't really depend on it - which should also negate buy-to-win. Good on you for supplying your kids with science toys, mate, we need more of this!

The concept of a modular design is of interest. I know it's been done in yoyos, but the results have been poor. I think the number of areas where problems can crop up is part of the issue: too many parts. I think that tops would be easier and probably received better since the market isn't anywhere near as flooded with models. I'm going to check out the link. I think it will be very interesting.

Very interesting. It's certainly true that more complex shell (top) designs are a double-edged sword. Sure, more components can increase your weight and abilities in a fight. But it also presents a more complex and time-consuming build with more things that can go wrong dynamically. Too much weight at the perimeter, for example, will increase your recoil during attacks and could result in a self-KO. In that sense, building the shell is where the strategy really comes into it. I didn't get that sense from Beyblade Burst so much.