iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Japanese turning  (Read 1106 times)

robtsou

• ITSA
Japanese turning
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:44:17 AM »

I've always been a little intrigued by the Japanese turning videos I see.  The lathe they use is different (mounted on a table), the tools are different (a lot of hook tools),  and they typically use jam chucks (which I've still not got the hang of yet).  So I was watching PBS this morning and a show about Japan comes on so I watch it and it inspires me to go looking for info in the lathes they use.  I haven't found anything about those yet but I did find this video where I've noticed yet another difference, they reverse the lathe and turn from the backside when hollowing!  So cool to watch the skill!  Not sure how to embed the vid but here's the link.

https://youtu.be/Cc4mD8t-xOs

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Japanese turning
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »

I've always been a little intrigued by the Japanese turning videos I see.  The lathe they use is different (mounted on a table), the tools are different (a lot of hook tools),  and they typically use jam chucks (which I've still not got the hang of yet).  So I was watching PBS this morning and a show about Japan comes on so I watch it and it inspires me to go looking for info in the lathes they use.  I haven't found anything about those yet but I did find this video where I've noticed yet another difference, they reverse the lathe and turn from the backside when hollowing!  So cool to watch the skill!  Not sure how to embed the vid but here's the link.

Interesting. I guess it makes sense to hollow on the backside as you get a better view of where you are placing the tool.

PS: Your embedding was just fine  :)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »

Interesting. I guess it makes sense to hollow on the backside as you get a better view of where you are placing the tool.

PS: Your embedding was just fine  :)

Just a bit off topic, but hollowing. There's a hollowing system out of Australia that agrees that cutting on the backside allows a better view of your work. However, their solution is not to reverse the lathe direction, but to flip their tools over so the cutters are on the bottom of the tool. You get the same effect.

Kirk

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 08:57:29 AM »

It is interesting how good the chip control is with the hook tools.  Thanks for posting this.