iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: How to make a rope  (Read 1942 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
How to make a rope
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:08:11 AM »

It believe Rob shared this. It would be top related if there was an arm strong enough to spin the corresponding top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r3zpQuylVM

One machine has an inscription that says 1864!

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: How to make a rope
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »

i vote this very much top related as it shows the principles of string making!!!!!!
not as tightly layed as i would have expect though eh  ??? i need to go down there and straighten them boys out there eh  ;D

Eric

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »

Doesn't Neff (Chris) have one of those machines in his basement?
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

pops

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 06:58:36 PM »

The commercial rope making machine appears very complicated.  Although the first photo shows a much simpler version, it still uses the same principles as the one on the video.  This machine was being used by my son and I to demonstrate rope making to children at the Museum of Discovery.  The kids did the work (cranking to put in the twist) and they got to take home a "Jump rope" that they made.

The second photo shows a smaller version of the same type  of machine that is being used to make a spin top "rope."  A wooden "top is used to separate the initial strands until there is enough twist and then it moves forward allowing all four strands to twist upon themselves.

I hope the photos show when this is posted, as I could not see them when I previewed this post.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:20:22 PM »

The second photo shows a smaller version of the same type  of machine that is being used to make a spin top "rope."  A wooden "top is used to separate the initial strands until there is enough twist and then it moves forward allowing all four strands to twist upon themselves.
I guess this officially makes it spintop related, so I am moving it out of the NSTR board.

I need to start making string myself, but I am too lazy. That the string I get from Neff is so damn good doesn't help with my motivation.  ;)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:28:30 AM »

why exactly is the "Top" necessary eh??? ive never had any trouble with my lines getting tangled or inconstantly laid   :P

pops

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »

The "top or cone" that I use is equivalent to your "String-separator 5000" as shown in your July 22, 2016 post .  My set-up is a bit different than what it is shown in that post.  Where all my strings come together, I have a hook attached to a swivel.  This allows the four strands to twist upon themselves between the hook and the top when enough twist is produced by the machine end of the set-up.  As the four strands begin to twist upon themselves, they squeeze on the small end of the top and force it toward the machine end thus forming string (rope) as it moves along.  This forming string can be seen in the larger photo.
     In the small photo you can see I am using a short section of rope and pulley to the left of the top.  At the end of this short rope is some weight to keep tension on the strands.  This is just to compensate for the shortening of the strands as the twist is applied. 
     I hope this helps to explain my set-up.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:14:42 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 01:30:44 AM »

The "top or cone" that I use is equivalent to your "String-separator 5000" as shown in your July 22, 2016 post.  My set-up is a bit different than what it is shown in that post.  Where all my strings come together, I have a hook attached to a swivel.  This allows the four strands to twist upon themselves between the hook and the top when enough twist is produced by the machine end of the set-up.  As the four strands begin to twist upon themselves, they squeeze on the small end of the top and force it toward the machine end thus forming string (rope) as it moves along.  This forming string can be seen in the larger photo.
     In the small photo you can see I am using a short section of rope and pulley to the left of the top.  At the end of this short rope is some weight to keep tension on the strands.  This is just to compensate for the shortening of the strands as the twist is applied. 

ah thank you for the explanation sir  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »

I like your constant-tension setup. Good idea!

Pepe

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 02:37:24 PM »

I found this machine in the facebook page of Masaaki Furui

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »

All nice setups, I need to up my game but my 3 ply are near perfect after 1-2h of play and my 4 ply a bit longer... so that kind of negate the motivation..

Plus unbleached white cotton last almost forever!!!

We will see next summer.

@Pepe, it is worth tho playing with 3ply string wiht 2 hook an a drill ( it's easy to do + yeild better result than the comercially availlable options )
Spinning is life!!!!