iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help with Throwing a YYF/Energia Short Circuit  (Read 2300 times)

DannyBoy2k

Help with Throwing a YYF/Energia Short Circuit
« on: November 04, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »

Hey All,

Been throwing my YYF Short Circuit for about an hour every night since receiving it 3 days ago and even brought it in to work today to throw during some breaks.  For the moment, just trying to nail the perfect tip down vertical landing around a specific point on the ground.  This is my first spin top and I'm loving it!  I'm throwing it completely stock with factory string and button.  I'm a lefty as well, in case it matters.

I find I have to throw it tilted quite a bit towards my thumb, maybe as much as 45 degrees or more from vertical to get it to land reasonably close to vertical when it gets to the ground.    I was wondering if that is typical for this model top or if it might be an indication of something else: string too short; string too long; bad release; etc.

I can't count the number of different variations I've tried on my throw to see what affects the top in the air and how it lands: arm straight out and stop it when perpendicular to direction of throw; arm straight out and follow through with throw; arm straight, but down at 45 degrees; arm bent at elbow, palm vertical to the ground; etc.  Occasionally, I would just nail the throw and it would feel magical.  Then, I'd try to do it again and the top would land on it's side.  Couldn't quite nail it down.  I thought all that mattered was perhaps that the top's tip was vertical when compared to the ground regardless of the orientation of my arm and hand, but not sure yet.

Just a few minutes ago, I was getting really consistent throws keeping my arm dead straight, palm vertical, moving my arm from back to front with no vertical movement and stopping my arm as soon as I released, but I had to have the top pointed 45 degrees to thumb as described above, not vertical.  Picture of grip attached.  Sometimes I have it tilted even more than that.

Would love to be more consistent and understand all the factors.

Thanks!

~Dan

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: Help with Throwing a YYF/Energia Short Circuit
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »

Sting length has a lot to do with how the top lands as well as the angle of the top in the hand. For the stock short circuit string I throw with the tip straight up and hand straight out in front. With longer string I adjust the tip so it points up into the angle between the thumb and index finger. I have tried to teach many people to throw and get mixed results. Some people have to much style in there throw (throw like they are skipping a rock) and it's hard to get them to stop all that extra motion. I generally teach first timers to throw very mechanical and ridged so they have repeatable results. When you get comfortable you can adjust your throw to suit you. I was able to get my 6 year old son to throw with this method and he enjoys throwing. I have also started a battle top league with 7 other coworkers. We had our first tournament and everyone had a blast. Before the tournament I had throw sessions with them all to get them throwing correctly. In the end everyone finds what works for them. Keep experimenting and have fun.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »

Sting length has a lot to do with how the top lands as well as the angle of the top in the hand.

this man speaks wisdom......listen to him @-@

DannyBoy2k

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:02:19 PM »

Thanks guys.  I'm back at it this evening and think I've found the secret, at least for me.

I was holding the top too high in my hand and the string leading to the button wasn't rolling off smoothly on the throw.  I've attached photos to show what I mean.  The first two are a front and side view of when things don't work very well.  The second two allow me to keep things much tighter and the string just rolls right off the top and it flips over perfectly.

Cheers,
Dan

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 10:03:46 PM »

So glad you figured out what works for you (and what doesn't)!  It can be frustrating trying to sort it all out, but oh, so worth it in the end....