iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Missed International Top Spining Day (sort of) HHN  (Read 2297 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Missed International Top Spining Day (sort of) HHN
« on: October 15, 2016, 10:02:56 PM »

Thursday was Hispanic Heritage Night at the local Middle School.  One of the administrators, who is also my pastor and Trompo Camp Promoter, asked me to come and bring some trompos.  Not knowing what to expect I brought all but the kitchen sink.  Language was not a barrier as the (excellent) music was too loud to hear over.  Rachel and I taught dozens of kids to spin by mime.  Reminded Dads how cool trompos are.  Sold several sidewinders from the Trompo Camp Extras.  After the event was over lots of kids stayed as long as possible (one more Mom!) to spin some more.
So one day late for ITSD but what great fun for lots of kids and adults.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Missed International Top Spining Day (sort of) HHN
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »

Whish I was there Kirk.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 12:53:34 AM »

I wish you could have joined us too.
Since I came in last at the 2016 worlds and there were 9 competing, I joke that I am ranked 9th in the world.  Hector told the kids this. They all reacted with "no way". So I did an under leg boomerang, crazy 8, a few RCs, arm walker and hacky. They they all said, "OK it's true."  We got a good laugh out of that!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 01:14:48 AM »

I forgot to add that I took the top that Jack made for me.  It is a dense wood.  Just a little smaller than sidewinder.  It has a nail for a tip, so the first few turns must be near perfect.  One of the kids really liked the look and feel of it so much that she persevered with the winding difficulties and got a spinner almost every time, and almost all of those in the target. As the night ended, the top went back in its toque as a happy top, loved by a little girl.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »

Wow!  What a great opportunity and it sounds like you took full advantage of it.  Good job or should I say buen trabajo?  I will have to ask if there are any HHN events around our area.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 12:16:37 PM »

that's great Kirk !
I enjoyed reading your report :
to me ,this kind of community work is the best way to get involved

J 8) I M
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »

I forgot to add that I took the top that Jack made for me.  It is a dense wood.  Just a little smaller than sidewinder.  It has a nail for a tip, so the first few turns must be near perfect.  One of the kids really liked the look and feel of it so much that she persevered with the winding difficulties and got a spinner almost every time, and almost all of those in the target. As the night ended, the top went back in its toque as a happy top, loved by a little girl.

that just made my week  ;D

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 08:40:01 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D   good job

TROMPO MEXICO