iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Yoyo/Top Hybrid Help Any Suggestions? Repeating Spintop?  (Read 883 times)

• Gold Member
Yoyo/Top Hybrid Help Any Suggestions? Repeating Spintop?
« on: September 02, 2016, 04:09:49 AM »

I summon you, oh wise ones!,

I remember a few weeks ago, that either Neff or Kirk (I think it was Neff) showed me an amazing spintop, that was a hybrid between a yoyo and a spintop, allowing the yoyo to be rewound quickly and thrown over and over again without winding, simply by binding the yoyo. Even though I cannot find the link to this page , I was deeply inspired and set out to build my own. Attached are my pictures.

Ingredients
1 Duncan Imperial Spintop sans lid
1 YoyoFactory Loop360 Yoyo
Hot Glue

Process:
Glued the Bottom half of the Imperial to the side of the 360.... The result... Well, It is too late (yes, I obsess over these things!) for me to take a video because the noise it makes is horrendous, but I have attached a picture and will try to take a video for tomorrow.

Here are some difficulties I am experiencing

1. When I catch this freakish top in my hand it does spin, but very poorly. It wants to jump all over the place. Is this because it is imbalanced?

2. It does not spin a very long time... I suspect again, that 1 or two are the reason.

3. I have been unsuccessful as of this point of getting it to return via a proper yoyo bind as Neff (Or Kirk?) have done in their videos. I have only been able to catch it, have it spin/jump around in my hands for a few seconds and then shoot out of my hands or lose spin and die.

I am not looking for a step by step guide, but simply some minor suggestions to make this project better.

Would using a ball bearing spintop help?  Would using a butterfly yoyo help? Would sawing the imperial down to an even shorter height work to lower the center of gravity? Would a sawn-off ball bearing spintop work best?

I would appreciate any off the collar suggestions you can throw at me.

Thank you again for your inspiration. You are all amazing!

Thank you all for reading!

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Yoyo/Top Hybrid Help Any Suggestions? Repeating Spintop?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »

I don't see picture?  :-\

We last spoke about it here:

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,4517.msg47277.html#msg47277

Check out the blog if you have time.

I first posted about it here

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,191.0.html

I will read your post again later

• Gold Member
Re: Yoyo/Top Hybrid Help Any Suggestions? Repeating Spintop?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 03:56:19 AM »

Dear Neff,

Thank you very much for the link! That was exactly what I was looking for, but couldn't find! Thank you!

Oh my... I suppose I didn't attach the picture!  It is attached now!  I am still working on a video of it. It really just jumps all over the place. I can't hold it in my hand long enough to record anything anyway :P.

The P213 is what I was referring to. Yes! Beautiful amazing tops!

Those are amazing... So...

It does seem you too use the imperial "top" part...The only differance I can see between my p213 and yours is that you use a "butterfly" bearing yoyo. I am using a loop 360. I am sure that eventually I will need a butterfly on it for ease of winding, but my problem is just getting it to spin properly, wich mine do not..

Another thing I notice is that you are using a "sawn off" imperial. Mine simply has the crown removed. Would shortening the top help with spin problems? I suspect the center of gravity is too high, causing it to bounce around.  Could shortening the imperial help a bit? At what notch did you cut yours? It looks like you cut your imperial at the 2nd notch from the tip.

I hope to read from you soon! I love this design.. Why don't you think that this is the "future" of spintops? I certainly see this being a bigger and bigger part of spinning... at least in it's own category. Why do you think it is not the future of spintops? I agree that it is no substitute for regeneration, but it seems great for performing.

Thank you so much!